Through the Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences, APPcamp students will:
• Engage in hands-on computer programming projects while learning fundamental coding principles;
• Learn how to design, build, test, and publish mobile applications;
• Interact and engage with university faculty and college students and visit research labs in the School’s three departments;
• Explore career pathways in information and computer science fields;
• Work in teams while emphasizing ’21st Century skills’ such as creativity, communication, collaboration, and critical thinking;
Projects will emphasize Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) concepts and be correlated with Common Core Standards and the Framework for Next Generation Science Standards.
APPcamp is intended for students who will be entering 6th, 7th, 8th or 9th grade in the fall of 2018. The average age range of our participants is between 11 and 14.
APPcamp 1.0: This entry level camp is intended to give participants an intro in the world of computer science. They will learn basics of coding via easy-to-use coding platforms like Scratch and develop an Android app with MIT’s App Inventor. Visits to the awesome labs in the school of ICS will show students how computer programming is changing the world around us!
APPcamp 2.0: In its second year being offered, this camp will build on 1.0 and go a little deeper into the world of digital making. This means making the jump from block based coding (Scratch) to text-based coding (Python), used in combination with the power of the Raspberry Pi. Students will team up to complete a design challenge where they will build their own apps/games/modules centered around a common theme. (Prerequisite – completion of APPcamp 1.0)
APPcamp 1.0: June 25-29, July 9-13, July 16-20
APPcamp 2.0: July 23-27
APPcamp will be held in state-of-the-art laboratories at the University of California, Irvine and run from 9:00am to 4:00pm. Only lunch will be provided. Space is limited to 20 students per session.
Each one-week camp is $500 and includes all materials, lunch, and snacks. Current UCI staff & faculty will receive a $75 discount.