Through The Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences, APPcamp Students will:
• Engage in hands-on computer programming projects while learning fundamental coding principles;
• Learn how to design, build, test, and publish mobile applications;
• Interact and engage with university faculty and college students and visit research labs in the School’s three departments;
• Explore career pathways in information and computer science fields;
• Work in teams while emphasizing ’21st Century skills’ such as creativity, communication, collaboration, and critical thinking;
Projects will emphasize Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) concepts and be correlated with Common Core Standards and the Framework for Next Generation Science Standards.
APPcamp is intended for students who will be entering 6th, 7th, 8th or 9th grade in the fall of 2017. The average age range of our participants is between 11 and 14.
APPcamp 1.0: This entry level camp is intended to give participants an intro in the world of computer science. They will learn basics of coding via easy-to-use coding platforms like Scratch and develop an Android app with MIT’s App Inventor. Visits to the awesome labs in the school of ICS will show students how computer programming is changing the world around us!
*NEW* APPcamp 2.0: New this year, participants will take the basics from 1.0 and build on them by learning to code in slightly more advanced platforms like Python and Arduino IDE. They will also integrate coding with the power of micro-controllers like Arduino and Raspberry Pi, and mobile app development will expand to include iOS. (Prerequisite – completion of APPcamp 1.0)
APPcamp 1.0 – June 26th to June 30th (Camp full. WAITLIST only.)
APPcamp 1.0 – July 10th to July 14th (Camp full. WAITLIST only.)
APPcamp 1.0 – July 17th to July 21st (Camp full. WAITLIST only.)
APPcamp 2.0 – July 24th to July 28th (Prerequisite: APPcamp 1.0)
APPcamp will be held in state-of-the-art laboratories at the University of California, Irvine and run from 9:00am to 4:00pm. Space is limited to 20 students per session.
Each one-week camp is $500 and includes all materials, lunch, and snacks. Current UCI staff & faculty will receive a $75 discount.