Pedaling Revolution (Jeff Mapes) – Book Review

This might have been the first cultural/historical book I purchased… and it was a good choice. It’s a very modern book in that it focuses on the theories, opinions, and cities of today instead of spending too much time trying to summarize was being a penny-farthing rider was like.

At over 270 pages, this isn’t a quicky read unless you know a good deal about the bike histories of Portland, Oregon and Davis, California. There’s great insight into the actual efforts made and trials walked to make a more bike-friendly place to live.

This is a great modern history of bikes, laws, and infrastructure and has appearances from names familiar to advocates like Birk, Blumenaur, Takemoto-Weets, Forester, etc. Additionally, there is an ample bibliography of articles (academic and periodical) and books in the back to keep you reading.

I would definitely suggest this book to anyone who already bikes and is seeking to understand recent bike history, especially those working in advocacy, transportation demand management, and urban planning. As usual with my reviews, if you would like to borrow this book and don’t mind random highlighting, just let me know.

About Ramon Zavala

I am the supervisor in charge of the University of California, Irvine's Sustainable Transportation (TDM) group. It's my job to get people out of the habit of driving a car alone and get them on buses, trains, carpools, vanpools, bikes, or even just to walk. This blog, while on a UC Irvine server, doesn't represent any official views of the University or any department within. These are my experiences and commentary.
This entry was posted in Bike Education, Follow Ramon. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Pedaling Revolution (Jeff Mapes) – Book Review

1. Matthew David Redmond says:

Can I borrow this one. It looks like one I should read! p.s. Love the Blog!