Ultimately, your choice for entry doors will come down to two main choices. Most front doors are made from either composite materials, or from real wood. A steel entry door is also becoming an increasingly popular choice for homeowners. Our front doors Canada experts at Double Glazing Windows and Doors have worked with all types of doors. We can tell you that there is no such thing as a universal answer to this question. Each homeowner should consider their needs carefully. These needs should then be matched against the pros and cons of each type. If you can do that, then you will figure out your ideal front/entry door.
To be sure, you do want to consider your ideal door type carefully. This is an important element of your home for a number of reasons. The right door can enhance the investment that is your home. The wrong door can have the opposite effect.
Let’s dive into the pros and cons of each door type. For now, we’re going to focus on choosing between real wood or composite doors. For many homeowners, it ultimately comes down to choosing between those two.
Pros Of Composite Wood Doors
Fifty years ago, if you wanted to change your front doors, you had one choice: Your entry doors were made from wood, or nothing at all. Things are a little different now, in terms of your front doors Canada choices.
Fiberglass doors have been around for a number of years now. However, in the last decade or so, fiberglass doors have undergone some dramatic improvements. This is in terms of not only the quality, but of the aesthetic potential of the doors.
Without question, there are some distinct advantages to having composite doors for your home:
- To the naked eye, composite doors look extremely similar to wood options.
- The process of creating these doors is quite straightforward. After materials are pressed into each other with intense pressure, veneer outer “skins” are then established atop the pressed materials.
- Composite entry doors do not warp. This makes them a potentially appealing option for someone who lives in climates with lots of rain, heat, and humidity.
- Composite doors do not need to be repainted.
- Perhaps the biggest advantage is the fact that composite doors tend to be more affordable than real wood doors.
- Maintenance requirements for composite doors are minimal. This can be an advantage to anyone who doesn’t have time to care for wood doors.
To be sure, we are looking at some pretty impressive advantages. Furthermore, composite doors benefit from lots of possibilities, in terms of style, colour, and other elements. It isn’t hard to see why composite has become so popular.
However, we would argue that even with everything considered above, real doors come out on top. There are several reasons as to why our front doors Canada experts believe real wood front doors are superior.
Pros Of Real Wood Front Doors
Solid wood doors have some distinct advantages, even in this day and age. These advantages continue to be unique to real wood doors. Let’s consider some of these benefits in greater detail:
- Yes, solid wood doors are a bit more expensive than composite doors. However, think about your doors as a long-term purchase. While you are spending a little more now, if you go with real wood doors, you’re making a long-term investment. For a number of reasons, the long-term investment of real wood entry doors outweighs the initial savings of composite.
- For variety, you still can’t beat real wood doors. In terms of materials, colours, styles, and everything else, the range of possibilities is nearly endless. Custom wood doors allow you to come up with just about anything you can imagine.
- Aesthetics is still a strong consideration for many people. At the end of the day, many homeowners throughout Canada and beyond will tell you that composite doesn’t measure up. This is particularly true with not only the look of real wood front doors, but with its heft, as well.
- Real wood doors are just more durable. Yes, they require a little more maintenance. However, with that extra touch of maintenance, you are getting something that lasts.
- In terms of energy efficiency, real wood doors are still the champion. In terms of front doors Canada options, real wood is just a better overall insulator.
- Consider the notion of traveling sound in a home or place of business. When you’re choosing doors, the notion of eliminating traveling sound should be kept in mind. On that front, real wood doors are your best bet.
In the end, you have to make your own call. However, if you want to trust our front doors Canada experts, real wood doors are still the preferred option. Weigh the pros and cons of each option carefully, before making your choice. Real wood offers better customization, enhanced durability, and features that composite still can’t equal. Finances are always a major concern, particularly when you are talking about new doors or replacement doors.
If finances are a concern, composite is a fine choice. However, if you’re willing to make the long-term investment, strong consider real wood doors.