Video Overview of Widgets
Widgets are another name for tools or content that you can add to sidebar(s) in your site. Different themes have different numbers of sidebars, but all themes should have at least one. Widgets may also be placed in the Footer areas of some themes.
You can access your widgets from the Appearance > Widgets area of your Dashboard.
Drag and Drop
- Hover over the widget you want to use and until you see the cursor change into a hand icon.
- “Grab” the widget and drag it to the sidebar or other widget area.
- When you see a dashed line appear, you can drop the widget in place.
- You can change the order of the widgets by dragging and dropping them in the desired location.
Add Widget Button
- Click once on the widget you want to add.
- Select the widget area where you want it displayed.
- Click Add Widget
- Each widget has configuration options. Click the triangle in the right corner of the widget to expand the options.
- Each widget will have different options. Here is an example of the Archives widget.
- If you make any changes, click Save.
- If you would like to remove a widget, expand the widget options and click Delete.
- If you want to remove the widget but retain the settings, drag the widget to the Inactive Widgets pane below Available Widgets.
If you don’t like dragging and dropping widgets, you can turn on Accessibility Mode.
- Click Screen Options
- Click Enable accessibility mode
- This will allow you to add and edit the settings without using drag and drop.
You can now preview your widgets before committing to the changes through the Customize tool.
- Go to Appearance > Customize
- Click the right arrow next to Widgets to customize the Widgets on your site.
- Any widgetized areas for your theme will appear in the customize settings on the left. The widget areas will vary depending on the theme.
- Expand the widget area where you want to add a widget by clicking on the triangle to the right of the widget area title.
- Click the Add a Widget button to expand the available widgets. They will appear to the right.
- Click once on the widget you want to add. It will appear below any widgets you are already using.
- You can reorder the widgets by dragging them to the desired location.
- Make any changes to the widget needed.
- Your should see a preview of the widget to the right.
- If you like the new widget, click Save & Publish at the top of the screen. If not, click Cancel and the changes will not be saved.