A few settings for writing posts can be customized such as the size of the composing box, the default category for your posts, the use of emoticons, etc.
- In the Admin Panel, click on Settings > Writing.
- Formatting – You can check the box to convert smileys and other emoticons typed in as plain text to display as a graphic. If you choose to write your own HTML, you can have WordPress check for invalid nested XHTML.
- Default Post Category – If you have set up Categories, you can choose the default post category here.
- Default Post Format – If your theme supports it, you can set the default Post format. Choose from standard post, aside, chat, gallery, etc.
- Default Link Category – If you have set up Links, you can set the default link category here as well.