Caitlin Segundo, Undergraduate Intern

caitlin_fall2016_intern_webCaitlin Segundo, a UCI English major, interned with the Sawyer Seminar project during Fall quarter 2016 through the History Department undergraduate internship program.  Caitlin’s reflections on two events––Japanese Internment and War Diaries, as well as interviews with our graduate student fellows and  visiting assistant professor––are featured on the Documenting War website.  In this post, Caitlin tells us more about herself.

Why did you choose to major in English?

I chose to be an English major because my favorite thing to do has always been to read––all throughout my childhood, I was always found with a book in my hand. I also really enjoy creative writing, so I thought I would put my hobbies to work and decided to choose English as a career path in college.

What is a book you read recently that you really liked and why?

I just recently finished Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte; I really enjoyed reading this novel because of the supernatural and paranormal aspects Bronte intertwines into the storyline, making it a very interesting read.

What interested you in an internship with the Documenting War project?

I was of the undergrads at UCI who loved the Humanities Core Course, so when I was introduced to the Documenting War project I became immediately interested because a lot of the work done within the project overlaps with what I studied as a first year student in the Humanities Core lectures and seminars. I also think the goal of the project––advocacy of the experiences of soldiers, civilians, and journalists alike––is important.

What do you like best about being an undergraduate at UCI?

What I love most about being an undergraduate at UCI is the environment and the vibes; even during midterms and finals, the atmosphere remains calm and relaxed––especially in Aldrich Park, where I usually study. So while college itself is extremely stressful, UCI’s atmosphere plays a vital role in keeping me calm. Everyone here is also very friendly––from the professors to the students; everyone just enjoys helping each other out and it makes UCI that much better.

What would you like to do after you graduate?

After I graduate from UCI, I’d like to attend Law School and establish a career in either criminal law or immigration law depending on how the next couple of years go for me.