Nobel Prize for Physics 2013 to Peter Higgs and Francois Englert

Congratulations to Peter Higgs and Francois Englert for receiving the Physics Nobel Prize of 2013, for proposing the Higgs Boson that was announced at the LHC at CERN on July 4, 2012.

higgs-and-englert

Francois Englert and Peter Higgs at the Higgs Particle announcement at CERN (photo from Maximilien Brice /CERN) .

Kudos also to fellow proposers of the Higgs: Robert Brout (Englert co-author deceased 2011), Gerald S. Guralnik (Brown U.), Carl R. Hagen (U. of Rochester), and T. W. B. Kibble.  They could not all be recognized because of the rules on the Nobel Prize.

The American Physical Society (APS) has an announcement that covers the contributions of all as winners of the 2010 APS J. J. Sakurai Prize.

About Dennis SILVERMAN

I am a retired Professor of Physics and Astronomy at U C Irvine. For two decades I have been active in learning about energy and the environment, and in reporting on those topics for a decade. For the last four years I have added science policy. Lately, I have been reporting on the Covid-19 pandemic of our times.
This entry was posted in Higgs Boson, Particle Physics. Bookmark the permalink.