Water: Size of an Acre-foot of Water

I am embarking on a short series of articles to answer questions that I have about California water.  It is in no way a comprehensive treatment of the vast system of California water.  I also am in no way an expert on any part of the subject.

To start, I wanted to give some simple outlook on the unit that is used, an Acre-foot (AF) of water, since I am a city boy.

Compared to a football field, an Acre is about 91 percent of the yardage marked size of the field, 90.75% to be more exact.  See the figure at the bottom.  The red part is the Acre.  An Acre-foot of water is an Acre covered by a foot of water (which makes for a very soggy football field).  There are 640 Acres per square mile, by definition of the Acre.

The Acre-foot is equivalent to 325,851 gallons, which is about a year’s water for a family of 5, or a years water for two smaller families for a year.

For anyone from outside the United States and the Imperial set of units, an Acre is 4047 square meters, or 0.405 hectares.  An acre-foot is 1233.5 cubic meters.  An acre-foot is therefore also 1.233 million liters.

Acre_over_football_field.svg

This entry was posted in California Water. Bookmark the permalink.