Recruit requires a directory of academic faculty users (no directory information is required of applicants and references as this information is input by applicants during the application process). Anyone who could conceivably be included in search committee activities or administration of the Recruit system should be listed in the user directory. Example users include analysts, faculty and staff committee members, equity advisors, etc.
User entries tend to be more dynamic in nature, and as such will require periodic automated updates. We recommend a nightly data feed.
The user directory is used in two ways:
- Access control: users listed in the directory may enter the “Faculty and Administrators” section of Recruit.
- User attributes: basic directory information about users, including name, email address, external_user_id, etc…
The user feed performs one of two actions per row provided:
- Create: when no record exists with the given external_user_id, Recruit will create a new user entry.
- Update: when a record exists with the given external_user_id, Recruit will update the user entry with values matching those of the given row.
- By design, UC Recruit does not automatically delete a record when a user entry is removed from the feed. This allows Recruit to maintain historicity of search committee composition, creators, and other user associations – even after the user has separated from the University.
The user data feed consists of an external_user_id, an alias, a name, a last_first_name, an email_address, a department, a department_code, a student_id, and an employee_id provided in CSV format.
Note that Recruit can derive a department name from the department code if necessary. An example row in the feed would be:
“ABC595”,”ant”,”Peter Anteater”,”Anteater Peter”,”firstname.lastname@example.org”,”Informatics”,403,”yes”,”yes”,"Associate"
For Peter Anteater, an Associate Professor in the Informatics department.