Welcome!

Hello hello hello and welcome to the new home of the Undecided / Undeclared Zotblog! I’m Cecilia, and you can find out more about me and my experience as a U/U freshman at Irvine here and here. I’m on my last quarter as a freshman, and the journey has been incredible. A year ago from now, I would have never dreamed that I would be where I am now.

As a senior in high school, I was very involved with clubs and organizations. One of the rumors I heard about UCI was that the club life on campus wasn’t very strong. I must have been listening to the wrong person though, because UCI organizations are now one of my favorite things about college. UCI has a lot of opportunities for someone looking to be active on campus! UCI Campus Organizations has a handy search tool for browsing through clubs by category. Academic, athletic, service, political, entertainment, religious, and interest are only a few of the many types of clubs that exist on campus. There’s a club for everyone! Best of all, if it doesn’t already exist, it’s easy to start your own club!

I truly believe that a college experience is what you make of it, so I challenged myself to start getting involved my very first year. I’m involved in three clubs on campus: Hat Cai (Mustard Seeds), Vietnamese Student Association, and Medical, Educational Missions Outreach (MEMO). I picked clubs according to my interests (spirituality, culture, and service), and it has definitely made all the difference. I’ve met amazing people through these clubs and some of my best memories this year have been with them. All three organizations have different upcoming events and I’m very excited to be a part of it all. I’ll be sure to update as they come around!

EXCITING NEWS! As some of you might already know, I applied at the beginning of the year to be an intern for MEMO and I got the position. A few months ago, I applied and interviewed to be a part of the team that goes on the service mission to Vietnam this September, and I GOT IT! Words cannot describe how thrilled I am about this.

Here’s a happy photo of some of the MEMO members and I at our after-event at Chipotle last week!

As always, if there is a ever a question, comment, or concern, don’t hesitate to hit the “comment” button below! I’d be more than happy to respond!

-Cecilia

6 Responses to “Welcome!”

• Cecilia M. Tran says:

Sam, I’m psyched that you’re psyched about college! Best of luck to you and I hope you have as great as an experience as I am.

Eric, THANK YOU! It’s truly been an honor to serve as an intern for MEMO and now to be a part of their mission this summer. I’m so thrilled! And I agree with you! Clubs here at UCI are a really big deal. I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions about UCI. In my opinion, our clubs are definitely one of our best features. I’m excited for you and I have no doubt that you’ll find all the right clubs to be engaged in!

• Eric Lao says:

Hello Cecilia! First off, congratulations on getting the position in MEMO!

Secondly: “club life on campus wasn’t very strong…” I have to comment that with the blogs I have read on your blog, I feel that the involvement of clubs revolving interests are indeed STRONG! (And I hope to become engaged in clubs I share interests in when the day comes too!)I’m excited to see the clubs ;]!

• Sam says:

Now I’m psyched about college life! :D

• Cecilia says:

Hi Noosha! During Welcome Week at UCI, all the clubs and organizations have booths in Aldrich Park as a sort of club fair event and you can walk around and find more info about all of them! There are A LOT of service clubs and many of them go overseas on missions. I’ll be sure to find out about a few more and post about them in future blogs!

If you’re interested in organizations, the following site is a really handy resource for looking any UCI club by searching them up by category!

I hope that helps!

• Noosha Eftekharian says:

Hello :) your MEMO to Vietnam sounds really interesting. How did you find out about this opportunity and are there others like it?? :)

• Christina Kelley Luiz says:

Cecilia! Congrats on your placement on the MEMO service mission team! How exciting! Remember that us advisors are here to help you plan out your academic schedule to accommodate the trip, if needed :)