Once Undeclared, ‘It’s Okay’

Hello fellow Anteaters!

For those you that don’t know, my name is Jazmin Reyes and I’m a first year Zot Blogger. My current major is Literary Journalism but I initially came into UCI as an Undeclared/Undecided student.

Seeing that there are only three weeks left of my first year in college, I can definitely say that this year has gone by too fast! It’s funny that it wasn’t too long ago when I was worried about which college I was going to be admitted to and which one would I sign my “life” away to. I believed that my choices would be limited down through the rejections I would received, but unlike some of my fellow classmates I was lucky to have been accepted to all nine universities I applied to. As gratifying as that is, it only made my decision harder (and it didn’t help that I didn’t know what major I wanted to pursue either). Going on campus tours was the only way to make a decision. I only visited UCI once, but as my family and I were waiting in the office watching an intro video, I was already impressed. I think what left the best impression was UCI’s wide and open campus. Unlike the other campus’ I had visited, I was able to envision myself feeling comfortable and at ease. From then on, UCI was present in my thoughts. Social and involvement wise, I didn’t know what to expect from college, but I did look forward to the experience of making a lot of new friends (which was something the tour guides never failed to mention). And as I mentioned in my first couple of blogs, I didn’t do SPOP (Student Parent Orientation Program), which is where you first meet most of your fellow first years. Instead, I was already going to be getting the experience of dorming life and college classes through Summer Bridge, a summer program at UCI specifically designed for incoming Freshmen. It was through the summer program that I met a group of people and mentors before starting the quarter, so that is definitely something I would encourage everyone to do.

As you will go on to do either SPOP or a summer program, I would just like to congratulate you once more for being admitted into UCI. One thing I would like you all to know is that you shouldn’t feel pressured to “find” or declare a major, even if you have an idea of what you want to go into. Try to keep in mind as well, that we are a UC school, which means that your major does not necessarily have to have a direct correlation to your path after college (i.e. for law school or medical school). One of my sorority sisters is graduating UCI in a couple weeks as an English major and is starting law school next school year. As you work on your general education, you’ll start figuring out what you like and dislike, and I that’s one of the beauties as start unaffiliated with a school.

All the best,

Jazmin.