Changes in Domestic Status

Residents who are changing their domestic status from single to family (married, domestic partnership, and/or have children) must provide the following documentation:

  • Students with children must provide a copy of their child’s (children’s) birth certificate(s) or proof of custody/guardianship as well as documentation verifying that the child(ren) reside(s) with the student.
  • Students in a domestic partnership must provide one of the following:
    • Notarized Affidavit of Domestic Partnership that includes the following: (1) each individual is the other’s sole domestic partner in a long-term, committed relationship with the intention to remain so indefinitely; (2) neither individual is legally married, a partner in another domestic partnership, or related by blood to a degree of closeness that would prohibit legal marriage in the State of California; (3) each individual is 18 years of age or older and capable of consenting to the relationship; (4) the individuals share or will share a common residence; (5) and the individuals are financially interdependent. An Affidavit of Domestic Partnership is available on the Housing website