UCI’s Canvas transition is progressing: about 43% of instructors and 80% of undergraduate students have used Canvas for at least one class since Spring 2015.
If you haven’t yet used Canvas and have lots of EEE experience, you’re not alone! This is the quarter to start thinking about using Canvas, particularly because new EasyWebsites can’t be created after Fall 2018. We’re here to help.
- New! An EEE user’s guide to Canvas: Our guide will help you do the same things in Canvas that you did in EEE.
- One-on-one consultation: The friendly and skilled staff in the Division of Teaching Excellence and Innovation (DTEI) are available for one-on-one consultations to help with your transition to Canvas.Instructors who use EasyWebsites will especially want to take advantage of this. To learn more and schedule a consultation with a DTEI staff member, please visit http://dtei.uci.edu/digitallearning/support-consultation/ or email DTEIsupport@uci.edu.
- Try Canvas out with your own, private instructor sandbox
* NEW: You can now add collaborators to your sandboxes!
While we’ve put a lot of thought into creating our new transition guide, we know it’s not perfect. If you notice anything that doesn’t seem right, or there are topics you’d like to see added, please get in touch.
That also goes for any feedback you may have about this transition more generally. You can learn more about the progress of the transition at https://sites.uci.edu/canvas/ and you can reach the EEE+ Team via email@example.com.
In Spring 2018, we surveyed all instructors about the challenges involved in using Canvas. Here’s what they said and what is being done about some of those concerns:
Other updates for Fall 2018:
- Canvas sandboxes can now include collaborators
- WW Norton assignments can now be created in Canvas
- Fully customizable, repeatable, self-diagnostic midterm evaluations are now available: https://evaluations.eee.uci.edu
- Student & Instructor class lists are now available in GrandCentral (eventual MyEEE replacement): https://grandcentral.eee.uci.edu/classes
- The class schedule calendar download previously found on MyEEE is now available through GrandCentral for students (we’re working on adding this for instructors as well)
Director, Student & Academic Services Division
Office of Information Technology
University of California, Irvine