Communication

About this page

This page lists communication, outreach, and other related activities that played a role in any stage of UCI’s review of learning management system options, the decision to pilot Canvas, and the ultimate selection of Canvas. (for example, campus talks, panels, and colloquies that provided valuable insight into pedagogical best practices, technology needs and trends, or other relevant topics of consideration around instructional/educational technologies).

A variety of campus units and committees are mentioned, including:

2018-2019 Academic Year (Current)

  • 12/12/18 – Presentation to School IT Directors
  • 12/10/18 – Presentation to Provost’s Cabinet
  • 11/29/18 -Sent survey to Fall 2018 instructors to learn more about third party technology usage, needs, and priorities for Canvas integration
  • 11/20/18 – Presentation update for Educational Technology Initiative Advisory Committee (ETIAC)
  • 11/15/18 – Presentation update for Academic Senior Managers (ASM)
  • 11/13/18 – Presentation update for Council on Faculty Welfare, Diversity, and Academic Freedom (CFW)
  • 11/5/18 – Presentation update for Academic Senate’s Council on Teaching, Learning, and the Student Experience (CTLSE)
  • 10/26/18 – Sent EasyWebsite retirement reminder to instructors and TAs who used EasyWebsite in Spring 2017 or later
    View message: EasyWebsite Retirement – Fall 2018
  • 10/26/18 – Sent Survey retirement heads-up to every survey administrator, owner, and results viewer from all time
    View message: Deadline: Retirement of EEE Survey
  • 10/22/18 – Zotmail announcement regarding EEE+ Evaluations (replacement for EEE Legacy midterm feedback form)
    View message: Student Feedback: Flexible and Confidential EEE+ Evaluations
  • 10/1/18 – Zotmail update to campus
    View message: Canvas & EEE Update for Fall 2018
  • 9/27/18 – Posted results of Spring 2018 Canvas concerns survey
  • 9/21/18 – Outreach to Canvas R1 Universities Peer Group
  • regarding absence of comment upload in Canvas gradebook
  • 9/20/18 – Outreach to OIT Help Desk
  • 9/20/18 – Outreach to Disability Services Center
  • 9/13/18 – Sent postcards to all Fall 2018 instructors
  • 9/6/18 – Sent announcement of recharge service for self-supporting programs to department chairs
  • 9/6/18 – Sent postcards and informational letter to department chairs

2017-2018 Academic Year

  • 8/28/18 – Updated front page partial timeline to display Summer 2018 / Winter 2019 / Fall 2019
  • 8/28/17 – Updated full timeline to include Spring 2020 for clarity
  • 7/10/18 – Added a new page documenting criteria and process to request Canvas for Academic Programs
  • 7/10/18 – Sent Quiz retirement heads-up to all Quiz owners, co-administrators, and results viewers
    View message: Retirement Deadline: EEE Quiz
  • 7/9/18 – Sent EasyWebsite retirement heads-up to all EasyWebsite owners or co-administrators (instructors and TAs)
    View message: Retirement Deadline: EEE EasyWebsite
  • 6/13/18 – 6/18/18 – Sent SignupSheet retirement heads-up to all identified signup sheet owners, administrators, and results viewers
    View message:  Retirement Deadline: EEE SignupSheet
  • 6/13/18 – Sent Midterm Feedback Form retirement heads-up to all instructors and teaching assistants who have used the self-diagnostic form via Evaluations
    View message: Retirement Deadline: EEE Midterm Evaluations
  • 6/13/18 – Sent heads-up email warning instructors with large classes that the process to transfer final grades from Canvas to the Registrar’s WebGrades may take longer than expected
    View message: Heads-up: Delay in Canvas-to-WebGrades for large classes
  • 5/30/18 – Sent short “Canvas Problems” poll to all instructors associated with one or more past Canvas course spaces (total of 2,077 recipients) to solicit feedback on biggest initial Canvas challenges and ongoing issues
  • 5/15/18 – Zotmail update to campus
  • Early Spring – Chancellor video posted
  • 1/3/18 – In-tool announcements updated for Rosters, Calendar, Planner, RoomFinder, Announcements, Tasks; added to Quiz, Evaluations, EasyWebsite, and Survey; removed from MyEEE.
  • 12/14/17 – Canvas Transition site updated with Winter 2018 information
  • 12/11/17 – Call with peer at Harvard for support and transition strategies, staffing
  • 11/27/17 – Update for Educational Technology Initiative Advisory Committee
  • 11/6/17 – Presentation for Council on Teaching, Learning, and Student Experience, Academic Senate
  • 11/17/17 – Canvas feature update information (note: primary significance to explain why new grades not available) posted to Canvas Transition Site
  • 10/18/17 – Call with peers at UC Berkeley to discuss support experiences and strategies
  • 10/2/17 – Fall ‘17 transition update with first phase of tool retirement announcements posted to EEE homepage and Canvas Transition Site
  • 9/19/17 – New faculty event with Classroom Technology Support
  • 9/13/17 – Canvas update for school and department IT Directors
  • 9/12/17 – In-tool announcements added to RoomFinder, MyEEE, Planner, Announcements, Tasks, Rosters, and Calendar
  • 9/6/17 – Center for Instructional Design check-in for support coordination

2016-2017 Academic Year

  • 9/5/17 – Summer Session check-in for support coordination
  • Early September – Postcards sent to all Fall 2017 instructors
  • 8/30/17 – Meeting with Division of Teaching Excellence & Innovation and large online course instructor to discuss experiences, support needs
  • 8/28/17 – New Faculty event invitations (all new faculty since last year’s event)
  • 8/21/17 – Meeting with Vice Provost for Teaching & Learning, Michael Denning, to discuss Canvas pedagogical support needs
  • 8/4/17 – Canvas overview for new staff in Division of Teaching Excellence & Innovation
  • 7/26/17 – Law meeting (Canvas needs / usage discussion)
  • 7/14/17 – Meeting with Merage IT staff
  • 7/10/17 – Academic IT meeting (focus on support update)
  • 7/7/17  – Meeting with Study Abroad program for possible non-course Canvas use
  • 6/29/17 – Division of Teaching Excellence & Innovation meeting
  • 6/13/17 – EEE Homepage revamped to highlight transition info
  • 6/1/17 – Panel event
    Topic: EEE+ Evaluations Pilot
    Panelists:
    Angela Jenks / Anthropology
    Joel Veenstra / Arts – Drama
    Renee Link / Chemistry
  • 3/1/17 – Panel event
    Topic: Adoption of EEE Canvas at the program level
    Panelists:
    Amalia Herrmann / Humanities Core
    Emily Brauer / Composition Program
    Victorya Nam / Academic English”
    Late February/early March – Postcards sent to all Winter 2017 instructors
  • 10/12/16 – Panel save-the-date sent to Division of Teaching & Learning, Merage, Division of Continuing Education
  • 10/12/16 – Grade Conversion Tool Video posted
  • 10/4/16 – Email outreach to groups including: Division of Teaching & Learning, Associated Graduate Students, Instructors, Instructors of large courses, instructors with combined course spaces
  • 10/3/16 – OIT leadership update
  • 9/30/16 – ZotPortal post
  • 9/29/16 – OIT Help Desk update and presentation
  • 9/26/16 – Classroom Technology Support update
  • 9/26/16 – Campus-wide Zotmail update
  • 9/22/16 – Update to Registrar on new “Additional Student” functionality
  • 9/19/16 – Update for school and department IT Directors
  • 9/14/16 – Update EEE Canvas spotlight on homepage

2015-2016 Academic Year

  • Late 2016 – Cumulative pilot assessment results published
  • 9/12/16 through 9/16/16 – Canvas Summer Institute
  • 9/6/16 – Postcards send to all instructors
  • Early-Spring – Published Winter 2016 assessment results
  • 5/22/16 – Published “Canvas Pilot – Overview and Debrief” video
  • 3/31/16 – Student focus group
  • 3/31/16 – Winter 2016 project update published
  • 3/30/16 – End of quarter assessments results summaries published
  • 3/29/16 – Presentation for OIT all staff meeting
  • 3/24/16 – Pilot website moved to archive state
  • 3/23/16 – End of quarter assessments close
  • 3/21/16 – End of quarter assessments reminder
  • 3/15/16 – End of quarter assessments reminder
  • 3/14/16 – Presentation for Nursing Science
  • 3/10/16 – Meeting with School of Medicine
  • 3/8/16 – End of quarter assessments open
  • 3/8/16 – Grade submission process reminder
  • 3/4/16 – Presentation to Academic IT group
  • 3/2/16 – Focus group
  • 2/25/16 – LMS Advisory group meeting
  • 2/23/16 – Presentation to Academic Business Officers Group
  • 2/19/16 – Student focus group
  • 2/18/16 – Presentation to ASUCI Legislative Council
  • 2/17/16 – Student focus group
  • 2/17/16 – Winter 2016 mid-quarter assessment surveys closed
  • 2/16/16 – Student focus group
  • 2/16/16 – Email reminders for Winter 2016 mid-quarter assessment surveys
  • 2/11/16 – Final Canvas Pilot Update & Instructor Panel
  • 2/10/16 – Visit from Instructure product representatives for Grades tool, including meetings with Humanities faculty, Ted Wright, David Kay, and Adrienne Williams
  • 2/9/16 – Winter 2016 mid-quarter assessment surveys opened
  • 2/8/16 – Presentation at Undergraduate Council meeting
  • 2/8/16 – Student focus group
  • 2/8/16 – Canvas adoption decision announced via campus-wide zotmail
  • 2/4/16 – LMS Future Directions Review Team 2016 update published (pdf)
  • 2/3/16 – Panel publicized via campus-wide Zotmail
  • 2/3/16 – Panel publicized on MyEEE, pilot website
  • 2/2/16 – Final Canvas Pilot Update & Instructor Panel publicized on EEE homepage
  • Mid-Winter – Published Fall 2015 assessment results
  • 1/25/16 – Canvas features presentation for OIT Student & Academic Services managers
  • 1/21/16 – Canvas Pilot info session for teaching assistants
  • 1/21/16 – Canvas Pilot presentation for Academic Counselors
  • 1/19/16 – Canvas update and results summary presentation to LMS Future Directions Team
  • 1/14/16 – Canvas update and results summary presentation to LMS Advisory Group
  • 1/11/16 – EEE user experience survey distributed
  • 1/11/16 – Winter 2016 pre-quarter assessment surveys closed
  • 1/8/16 – Canvas R1 Universities Peer Group call
  • 1/7/16 – Non-participant survey email reminder sent
  • 1/5/16 – Email to Registrar with FYI on list of Winter 2016 participants
  • 1/4/16 – Winter 2016 pre-quarter assessment surveys distributed
  • 11/30/15 – LMS Future Directions Review Team meeting, including presentations on pilot background, progress, and assessment data to-date
  • 11/20/15 – Postcards mailed to Winter 2016 instructors
  • 11/20/15 – Coordination meeting with Division of Teaching & Learning
  • 11/18/15 – Canvas Pilot Update & Instructor Panel
  • 11/16/15 – Canvas Pilot Info Session for Instructors
  • 11/13/15 – Canvas R1 Universities Peer Group call
  • 11/6/15 – Presentation for Engineering Undergraduate Student Council
  • 11/1/15 – Biweekly implementation check-in call with Instructure
  • 10/30/15 – Mid-term Fall assessment survey reminders
  • 10/23/15 – Mid-term Fall assessment surveys opened
  • 10/23/15 – MyEEE posts for info sessions (student, TA, and instructor)
  • 10/23/15 – Meeting with Kim Vater, The Hill bookstore manager, to discuss possibilities around etexts and Canvas
  • 10/15/15 – Presentation for Academic Senior Managers meeting
  • 10/14/15 & 10/15/15 – Instructure representatives visit to UCI campus, including:
    Meetings with EEE team
    Meeting with OIT Director of Student & Academic Services, Shohreh Bozorgmehri
    Panel & Pilot update
    Meeting with Bill Tomlinson (Informatics)
    Meeting with Ted Wright (Social & Behavioral Sciences)
    Meeting with OIT CIO, Dana Roode, and Vice Provost of Teaching & Learning, Michael Dennin
  • 10/13/15 – Panel RSVP email reminders
  • 10/7/15 – Zotmail to publicize panel
  • 10/6/15 – Update for Provost’s Advisory Committee for Technology Enhanced Education (PACTEE)
  • 10/6/15 – Email to ASUCI President to invite to first Fall panel
  • 10/6/15 – Email to ASM chair to invite to first Fall panel, offer follow-up
  • 10/5/15 – Pre-term Fall assessment results posted on piloe website
  • 10/2/15 – Pre-term Fall assessment surveys closed
  • 10/1/15 – Biweekly coordination meeting with Matt Williams, Division of Teaching & Learning
  • 10/1/15 – Biweekly check-in call with Instructure
  • 10/1/15 – Call with Canvas product representatives to discuss feedback on peer review
  • 10/1/15 – Student Zotmail with general information about project
  • 9/11/15 – Presented pilot information at the New Faculty Teaching Academy (coordinated by De Gallow)
  • 9/9/15 – Update run in UCI Brief (https://communications.uci.edu/uci-brief/)
  • 9/9/15 – Project update presentation for school & department IT Directors
  • 9/4/15 – Call with John Clarke (Merage) re YellowDig integration to support Merage’s pilot under contract with vendor

2014-2015 Academic Year

  • Late Summer – Published Summer 2015 assessment results
  • 9/4/15 – Close Summer 10 week end-of-term assessment survey
  • 9/4/15 – Final email reminder for Summer 10 week end-of-term assessment survey
  • 9/4/15 – Call with Tina Wippler in Pediatrics / Child Development School in School of Medicine regarding interest in Canvas use
  • 9/3/15 – Biweekly meeting with Matt Williams, Division of Teaching & Learning
  • 9/2/15 – Open Summer Session II end-of-term assessment survey
  • 8/31/15 – Grade submission reminder emails to Summer 10 week and Session II instructors
  • 8/28/15 – Published “Creating Simple Canvas Course Space” video
  • 8/28/15 – Email follow up with Emily Brauer (Composition) and Matt Williams (Division of Teaching & Learning) for coordination on assessment participation reminders
  • 8/27/15 – Email follow up with YellowDig on potential LTI / Canvas implementation as part of contract with Paul Merage School of Business
  • 8/26/15 – Summer Session II mid-term assessments closed
  • 8/26/15 – Summer Session 10 week end-of-term assessment surveys opened
  • 8/24/15 – Summer Session II mid-term assessment email reminders
  • 8/21/15 – Distributed survey to gather participant feedback on Canvas peer review functionality and needs
  • 8/20/15 – Pilot update for LMS Advisory Group
  • 8/19/15 – Summer 10-week mid-term checkpoint survey reminders sent
  • 8/19/15 – Meeting with Summer & Division of Teaching & Learning to review Summer support process, pilot progress
  • 8/17/15 – Summer 10-week mid-term checkpoint survey opened
  • 8/14/15 – Canvas R1 Universities Peer Group call
  • 8/7/15 – Concluded Summer Session II pre-term survey
  • 8/7/15 – Concluded Summer Session I end-of-term assessment survey
  • 8/6/15 – Biweekly call with Instructure
  • 8/5/15 – Pilot coordination meeting with Matt Williams (Division of Teaching and Learning)
  • 8/4/15 – Attend Southern California CanvasCon (https://socalcanvascon15.sched.org/)
  • 7/30/15 – Call with John Clarke,  Assistant Dean & CIO at Merage to discuss possible YellowDig contract and LTI integration with Canvas Pilot environment
  • 7/30/15 – Call with Glen Parker, Canvas Administrator at University of South Florida to discuss experience as longer-term Canvas client through Instructure’s major growth period
  • 7/30/15 – Call with Michelle Lew, Director of Instructional Technology at UCLA to share info on pilot progress and Canvas migration considerations
  • 7/29/15 – Check in email with Allison Weiss, Product Manager at Instructure to follow up on feedback related to anonymous peer review implementation and bug fixes
  • 7/29/15 – Call with Seth Johnson, Vice President, Support & Community at Instructure, as well as our Customer Success Manager and a support lead to discuss support concerns with specific examples
  • 7/24/15 – Opened Summer Session II pre-term surveys
  • 7/24/15 – Call with Jan Serrantino in Disability Services Center to discuss possible future Canvas uses
  • 7/24/15 – Posted MyEEE advertisement for Aug 6th Canvas Pilot Student Info Session
  • 7/23/15 – Zotmail to campus updating on pilot and publicizing Fall 2015 self-service Canvas course space creation and pilot opt-in
  • 7/23/15 – Biweeky call with Instructure representatives
  • 7/23/15 – Campus zotmail to publicize shift from invite-only to opt-in phase of Canvas Pilot with information for instructors on how to create their own Fall course spaces
  • 7/22/15 – Opened Summer Session I final assessment surveys
  • 7/21/15 – Email pilot instructors with grade submission process reminder ahead of Summer Session I grade submission deadline
  • 7/20/15 – Email outreach to Academic Senior Managers group
  • 7/20/15 – Opened Summer Session 10-week mid-term check-in surveys
  • 7/17/15 – Email LMSFDRT members, IT Directors, with Spring assessments results summary
  • 7/17/15 – Canvas Features Demo workshop
  • 7/17/15 – Email to early adopter peers identified by Instructure rep as potential contacts to discuss support concerns, experience over Instructure’s evolution
  • 7/17/15 – MyEEE post for instructors, TAs, and students publicizing pilot results so far
  • 7/14/15 – Check-in meeting with Distance Learning Center
  • 7/14/15 – Reminder emails for mid-Summer Session I assessment survey
  • 7/1/15 – Email Seth Johnson, Instructure Vice President of Support & Community with annotated documentation of support interactions that raised concerns
  • 6/30/15 – Final email to remind Spring ‘15 pilot instructors to participate in final survey
  • 6/29/15 – Meeting with Sarah Eichhorn, Adrienne Williams to lay out initial plan for vetting proposed 3rd party tool integrations with Canvas
  • 6/26/15 – InstructureCon debrief with AWT staff, Adrienne Williams, and Sarah Eichhorn
  • 6/25/15 – Touch base with Distance Learning Center via email
  • 6/25/15 – Biweekly status call with Instructure representatives
  • 6/16/15 – 6/19/15 – Attending InstructureCon, meeting with representatives to discuss product management, support, and usability questions & concerns
  • 6/16/15 – Received additional statistical data from Prof. Kobsa’s students’ Canvas usability research
  • 6/15/15 – Email to pilot instructors RE: transition to Summer and pilot instructor listserv membership
  • 6/12/15 – Spotlight on EEE homepage for open Fall Pilot participation and self-service Fall course space creation
  • 6/12/15 – Email reminders for student, TA, and instructor assessment participation
  • 6/12/15 – Canvas R1 Universities Peer Group call
  • 6/11/15 – Received reports from Prof. Kobsa’s students’ Canvas usability research
  • 6/11/15 – Email follow-up on information for Prof. Kobsa project participants’ incentives
  • 6/11/15 – Biweekly Instructure status call
  • 6/9/15 – Berkeley visit debrief & discussion with OIT’s EEE team
  • 6/8/15 – Published “UCI Canvas Pilot Spring 2015 Update”
  • 6/5/15 – Email forward to Registrar as an FYI on the grade submission information provided to Spring Canvas Pilot instructors
  • 6/4/15 – Email to Spring Canvas Pilot instructors with reminder about grade submission, including instructions and a video demo of the newly launched process for transferring grades from Canvas to the Registrar’s WebGrades
  • 6/3/15 – Site visit to UC Berkeley to confer with Berkeley’s Educational Technology Services group, where counterparts are completing a transition process from Sakai OAE to Canvas as Berkeley’s primary learning management system
  • 6/2/15 – Late Spring Canvas Pilot Update & Instructor Panel
  • 6/1/15 – Pre-final presentations with initial results from Prof. Kobsa’s students’ Canvas usability assessment projects
  • 5/29/15 – Posted final assessments for Spring and distributed to participating pilot students, TAs, and instructors
  • 5/28/15 – Distance Learning Center workshop
  • 5/22/15 – Status check call with Matt Williams, Distance Learning Center
  • 5/21/15 – Published “Canvas Pilot: Demonstration for Students” video
  • 5/21/15 – Presentation to Academic Senior Managers meeting
  • 5/21/15 – Canvas Pilot Info Session for Students
  • 5/21/15 – 6/2 panelist planning meeting
  • 5/21/15 – Student Focus Group #3
  • 5/20/15 – Student Focus Group #2
  • 5/19/15 – Presentation to ASUCI Legislative Council
  • 5/19/15 – Canvas Pilot Info Session for TAs
  • 5/19/15 – Canvas demo workshop
  • 5/19/15 – Attended WR39B staff meeting #2 to hear Canvas feedback
  • 5/19/15 – 6/2 panel Zotmail sent to campus employees
  • 5/19/15 – 6/2 panel info added to EEE homepage
  • 5/18/15 – Published “Canvas Pilot Instructor Panel, May 6, 10-11am”
  • 5/18/15 – Attended WR39B staff meeting #1 to hear Canvas feedback
  • 5/18/15 – Student Focus Group #1
  • 5/15/15 – Facebook, Twitter, and UCI subreddit posts for upcoming info sessions
  • 5/14/15 – Meeting with Distance Learning Center, Summer Session to plan Summer participation and touch base on pilot progress
  • 5/14/15 – Biweekly status call with Instructure
  • 5/11/15 – Meeting with Matt & Emily Brauer (Composition) to plan Summer participation
  • 5/11/15 – Future panelist invitation to Canvas Pilot instructors
  • 5/8/15 – Canvas R1 Universities Peer Group call
  • 5/8/15 – Thank-you cards to panelists
  • 5/7/15 – Meeting with Prof. Kobsa student research groups
  • 5/7/15 – Canvas dashboard & self-provisioning requirements & scoping meeting
  • 5/6/15 – Canvas Pilot Instructor Panel (37 attendees signed in)
  • 5/5/15 – Email reminder to RSVP-ed panel attendees
  • 5/4/15 – Email to inform pilot instructors of student focus groups
  • 5/1/15 – Follow-up email to student volunteers for Prof. Kobsa’s student groups
  • 4/30/15 – WebGrades submission demo for Registrar
  • 4/30/15 – Meeting with Distance Learning Center, Summer Session staff
  • 4/30/15 – Instructure biweekly status call
  • 4/28/15 – Send correction to Canvas Instructor Panel Zotmail
  • 4/28/15 – OIT LMS planning status meeting
  • 4/27/15 – Canvas Instructor Panel planning meeting
  • 4/27/15 ­ – Initial Canvas Instructor Panel Zotmail
  • 4/24/15 – Email mid-quarter assessment surveys (instructors, TAs, and students)
  • 4/24/15 – Meeting with Prof. Kobsa student research groups
  • 4/24/15 – MyEEE post for May 6th panel event
  • 4/22/15 – Call with Jon Hays (UC Berkeley) to coordinate site visit for meeting with UCB Canvas implementation team
  • 4/20/15 – Call with Instructure marketing and support representatives
  • 4/20/15 – Coordinate meeting with potential panel event participants
  • 4/17/15 – Invite pilot instructors to participate in tentative May panel event
  • 4/17/15 – Canvas Info Session for Students
  • 4/16/15 – Email update to Elizabeth Bennet, University Registrar, on WebGrades submission process from Canvas
  • 4/16/15 – Canvas Pilot Instructor meet-up
  • 4/15/15 – Canvas Info Session for Instructors
  • 4/15/15 – Attended initial presentations from Prof. Kobsa student groups
  • 4/13/15 – Canvas Info Session for TAs
  • 4/10/15 – Meeting with Iris Adams and Bob Cassidy, Engineering, to discus program needs, interests
  • 4/10/15 – Meeting with Prof. Kobsa’s student groups
  • 4/10/15 – Canvas R1 Universities Peer Group call
  • 4/10/15 – Invite pilot instructors to second informal meet-up
  • 4/8/15 – Reminder email for student pre-quarter assessments
  • 4/7/15 – Follow-up email to instructors who volunteered to work with Prof. Kobsa’s student groups
  • 4/6/15 – Set up and send demo class info to Prof. Kobsa’s student groups
  • 4/3/15 – Email reminder to pilot instructors for Prof. Kobsa project volunteers
  • 4/3/15 – Meeting with Prof. Kobsa student research groups
  • 4/2/15 – Winter 2015 Pilot update posted to OIT news, OIT website front page
  • 4/2/15 – Meeting with Distance Learning Center and Summer Session staff
  • 4/1/15 – Email reminder to pilot students for pre-quarter survey
  • 3/30/15 – Email ASUCI representatives
  • 3/30/15 – Presentation to Prof. Kobsa class
  • 3/30/15 – Pilot official start date with commencement of Spring instruction
  • 3/25/15 – Email heads-up to pilot instructors about student email reminders
  • 3/24/15 – Email invite for Prof. Kobsa’s ICS class project evaluating Canvas usability
  • 3/23/15 – Email IT Directors to update on participants
  • 3/23/15 – MyEEE publicity for student, TA, and instructor info sessions
  • 3/23/15 – Project highlighted in UCI Brief in category: “Work/Life”
  • 3/20/15 – Email pilot instructors to distribute TA assessments
  • 3/20/15 – Pilot instructor meet-up
  • 3/19/15 – Meet with Ellucian for SIS/Canvas/LMS interactions / long-range planning
  • 3/19/15 – Meet with Distance Learning Center and Summer Session staff
  • 3/19/15 – Notify students of pre-quarter assessment survey
  • 3/16/15 – Email pilot instructors heads-up on pending student assessment
  • 3/13/15 – Canvas R1 Universities Peer Group call
  • 3/12/15 – Phone call follow-up to pilot instructors
  • 3/12/15 – Email Pilot instructors with suggested template for notifying students of Canvas pilot
  • participation
  • 3/11/15 – Email Natalie Schonfeld, Council on Student Experience, Academic Senate
  • 3/10/15 – TA info session
  • 3/6/15 – Email outreach regarding Turnitin.com to Prof. Ted Wright
  • 3/6/15 – Hands-on workshop for pilot instructors
  • 3/5/15 – Meeting with Professor Alfred Kobsa to discuss student projects to evaluate Canvas as
  • part of human computer interactions course
  • 3/5/15 – Meeting with Distance Learning Center and Summer Session staff
  • 3/4/15 – Emailed Associated Graduate Students with update and offer to present
  • 3/4/15 – Publicize pilot info session for TAs with MyEEE notice
  • 3/2/15 – Presentation to Council on Student Experience, Academic Senate
  • 2/26/15 – Student info session
  • 2/26/15 – Hands-on training workshop for pilot instructors
  • 2/25/15 – Hands-on training workshop for pilot instructors
  • 2/24/15 – Hands-on training workshop for pilot instructors
  • 2/24/15 – Instructor Info Session
  • 2/23/15 – Published “Pilot Instructor Demo” video
  • 2/23/15 – Email pilot instructors with pre-quarter assessment
  • 2/20/15 – Email ASUCI president
  • 2/20/15 – Hands-on training workshop for pilot instructors
  • 2/19/15 – Meeting with Matt Williams, Distance Learning Center
  • 2/19/15 – EEE Facebook, Twitter, UCI subreddit posts for students
  • 2/17/15 – MyEEE post for students
  • 2/12/15 – Email participants to confirm migration and training details
  • 2/12/15 – Presentation and demo for OIT Help Desk
  • 2/11/15 – Meeting with De Gallow, Director of the Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center, to plan panel with participating instructors
  • 2/9/15 – Presentation to Undergraduate Council
  • 2/9/15 – Publicize pilot info sessions for instructors with MyEEE notice
  • 2/9/15 – Publicize pilot info sessions for students with MyEEE notice
  • 2/9/15 – Call with Brad Queen, Composition
  • 2/5/15 – Meeting with Matt Williams, Distance Learning Center
  • 2/4/15 – Meeting with Elizabeth Bennet, University Registrar
  • 2/2/15 – Email planned participants to gather additional info
  • 1/29/15 – Follow up with Brad Queen and Robert Escalante, coordinating Composition WR39C program level participation in Spring
  • 1/28/15 – Reminder to Spring participation not confirmed/provided course info
  • 1/26/15 – Presentation to Composition WR 39C instructors
  • 1/26/15  – Email IT Directors to advise how many and which instructors in their respective schools currently signed up for Spring participation
  • 1/26/15 – Email selected instructors who expressed interest in Spring participation with next steps to confirm Spring participation and provide course information
  • 1/23/15 – Call with Instructure Customer Success Manager regarding support processes
  • 1/23/15 – Feedback meeting with ICS instructors Don Patterson, Bill Tomlinson (also including Sarah Eichhorn, Matt Williams, and pre-assembled feedback from Anthropology instructor, Bonnie Nardi)
  • 1/23/15 – Call with Brian Gates, Instructure’s Director of Product Management, to discuss feedback and feature request processes
  • 1/22/15 – Email reminder to first wave invitees from 1/19
  • 1/21/15 – Launched Help Center with basic info at: http://help.eee.uci.edu/canvas/
  • 1/21/15 – Posted pilot participation notice on MyEEE for all instructors
  • 1/21/15 – Meeting with Emily Brauer, Composition, to discuss program needs
  • 1/20/15 – Presentation to Provost’s Advisory Committee on Online/Technology Enhanced Education
  • 1/19/15 – Email selected faculty / instructors including Celebration of Teaching Award recipients, Senate members, self-identified interested instructors, known innovators to invite as pre-pilot early participants
  • 1/15/15 – Meeting with instructors Kim Edwards, Renee Link for discussion of large course needs and experiences (Chemistry, 1200+ students)
  • 1/15/15 – Presentation to IT Directors
  • 1/8/15 – Distance Learning Center meeting to discuss Canvas pilot planning
  • Early Winter 2015 – Launched informational website with pilot information, including signup form
  • 12/10/15 – EEE Operations Group meeting
  • 12/2/15 through 12/5/14 – Directors of Educational Technology in California Higher Education (DET/CHE) conference
  • 11/25/14 – Distance Learning Center meeting
  • 11/14/14 – Canvas R1 Universities Peer Group call
  • 9/30/14 – LMS Future Directions Review Team 2014 update published
  • 9/12/15 – Canvas R1 Universities Peer Group call

2013-2014 Academic Year

  • 6/19/14 – EEE Operations Group meeting
  • 5/28/14 – Discussion of EEE Evaluations system with Merage School of Business
  • 5/22/14 – Educational Technology Initiative Advisory Committee meeting
  • 5/20/14 – Discussion of EEE Evaluations system with Law School IT
  • 4/25/14 – Panel, “Student Engagement Using iClickers & Mobile Devices (aka Student Response Systems)”
  • 4/17/14 – Debrief on campus technology forum
  • 4/15/14 – Educational Technology Initiative Advisory Committee meeting
  • 3/17/14 – Learning Management Future Directions Review Team meeting
  • 3/12/14 – Educational Technology Initiative Advisory Committee meeting
  • 2/6/14 – University Extension data coordination meeting
  • 1/28/14 – Debrief on Chancellor Drake’s Canvas course space experiences
  • 1/13/14 – EEE Operations Group meeting
  • 12/6/13 – Educational Technology Initiative Advisory Committee meeting
  • 11/20/13 – Summer Session data coordination meeting
  • 9/12/13 – New Faculty Orientation

2012-2013 Academic Year

  • 8/1/13 – EEE future roadmap brainstorming
  • 7/25/13 – Learning Management Future Directions Review Team meeting
  • 7/17/13 – Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center panel/workshop, “Google Apps”
  • 5/30/13 – EEE Operations Group meeting
  • 5/22/13 – Educational Technology Initiative Advisory Committee meeting
  • 5/15/13 – Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center brown-bag, “Mediasite: A Classroom Archiving & Streamlining Tool”
  • 5/10/13 – ICS Seminar, “Does Data Have a Secret Life: An Ethnographic Account of ‘Big Data’ and the Cloud”
  • 5/2/13 – Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center Colloquium, “Copyright & Privacy in Online Classes”
  • 4/8/13 – Educational Technology Initiative Advisory Committee meeting
  • 2/21/13 – Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center Workshop, “Student Learning and the 21st Century Measure of Teaching Effectiveness”
  • 2/14/13 – EEE Operations Group meeting
  • 2/13/13 – Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center Workshop, “Alternative Ways of Assessment: Peer Observation”
  • 1/30/13 – Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center Workshop, “Beyond Multiple Choice: Assessing Online Learning”
  • 1/28/13 – Learning Management Future Directions Review Team 2013 report issued: http://sites.uci.edu/lmsfuture/files/2013/01/LMS-Future-Committee-Report-final-012813.pdf
  • 1/23/12 – Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center brown-bag discussion, “Teaching With Mobile Devices”
  • 12/7/12 – Educational Technology Initiative Advisory Committee meeting
  • 11/14/12 – Learning Management Future Directions Review Team meeting
  • 11/13/12 – Discussion of third party tools and FERPA implications with Registrar
  • 11/9/12 – Learning Management Future Directions Review Team meeting
  • 11/8/12 – EEE Operations Group meeting
  • 10/23/12 – EEE overview and discussion for new staff in Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center
  • 10/22/12 – Learning Management Future Directions Review Team leadership meeting
  • 10/12/12 – Learning Management Future Directions Review Team meeting
  • 10/3/12 – Learning Management Future Directions Review Team leadership meeting
  • 9/19/12 – Learning Management Future Directions Review Team leadership meeting
  • 9/14/12 – Learning Management Future Directions Review Team meeting
  • 9/4/12 – Learning Management Future Directions Review Team leadership meeting

2011-2012 Academic Year