What’s happening to EEE Chat?
EEE Chat has been retired. This tool, implemented many years ago, was used by a limited set of classes. EEE Canvas provides a robust real-time chat tool which is both easier to use and more robust than the EEE Chat tool.
If you have questions or concerns, please Contact Us.
When will EEE Chat be retired?
EEE Chat was retired at the end of the Spring 2018 quarter.
What should I use instead?
|Use case||OIT-supported Alternative|
|Virtual office hours
|EEE Canvas Chat Tool
|Language class chat rooms||EEE Canvas Chat Tool (support for multiple languages/character sets)|
|Non-class based chat rooms||OIT Secure Instant Messaging
List of alternatives to EEE Chat
EEE Canvas Chat tool
A real-time chat tool is available for all classes using EEE Canvas. Learn more about chat in Canvas:
- What is Chat: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2624
- Chat guides for instructors: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4131#jive_content_id_Chat
- Chat guides for students: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4121#jive_content_id_Chat
OIT Secure Instant Messaging
If you need real-time chat tools for non-class uses, the Office of Information Technology provides a secure instant messaging service: http://www.oit.uci.edu/im/
There are also chat features available within UCI Google Apps via Hangouts and Office 365 via Skype.
- Use Google Hangouts: https://hangouts.google.com/
- Learn more about Google Hangouts: https://support.google.com/hangouts/?hl=en#topic=6386410
- Get help: Contact the OIT Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org / 949-824-2222.
Still have questions?
If you still have questions about EEE Chat please do not hesitate to Contact Us.
It’s important we know what you need so we can work to ensure this is a smooth transition; we want to hear from you!