What is Australian Carbon Tax worth in MPG improvement?

Australia has just instituted a Carbon tax of $24 per metric tonne of Carbon (not CO2 I believe).  This is offset by a $10 a week in additional benefits or tax cuts to households.  Since 20 pounds of CO2 are emitted by burning a gallon of gas, my conversions indicate that this is equivalent to about $0.60 per gallon of gas.  So lets say you drive 10,000 miles a year and get the present US average of 25 mpg at $4 per gallon.  You will use 400 gallons, at a cost of $1600.  A $0.60 US carbon tax per gallon will cost you $240 more per year.  If your car lasted 15 years (which is about the average lifetime of a car, though maybe with different owners) it would cost $3600 dollars for the carbon tax on it.  This is about 10% of the cost of an expensive car, and 20% of the cost of a budget car.  A mild, but not a decisive incentive.

However, if you upgraded to a 50 mpg gas saver car, it would reduce your yearly gas bill by half, from $1600 to $800.  Over 15 years, the gas saver car would save its owner $12,000 without the carbon gas tax.  With the carbon gas tax it would save an extra $1800.  So the reduction in gas cost alone without the carbon tax looks like it would more than pay for the increased cost of a gas saver car.  The added carbon gas tax savings would not be a decisive part of the economic savings.

This entry was posted in Autos, Climate Change, Transportation and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.