Projections for Future US Natural Gas

A graph for future US natural gas production has been posted in an article in Science Magazine by Eric McFarland (Vol. 338, p. 340-2, 19 October, 2012).  The article is titled “Unconventional Chemistry for Unconventional Natural Gas” showing the chemistry to make natural gas the feedstock for future fuel and chemicals.

I just wanted to show the projections for US unconventional natural gas sources here.  The graph shows sources from 1990 – 2010 and projections to 2035.  It comes from the EIA, Annual Energy Outlook, 2012.  Tight gas is found in sand or silt areas, and shale gas it found in shale areas.  Tight gas uses the same drilling and extraction technology.

In the past, importing liquified natural gas (LNG) had been considered a solution to our declining natural gas production.  Now, importing plants are turning to exporting.  Notice that Alaska natural gas is not considered an increasing or significant source, despite political rhetoric about Alaskan resources.

This entry was posted in Autos, Electric Power, Fossil Fuel Energy, Natural Gas. Bookmark the permalink.