A Politician as FBI Director Will Affect All Legal Disputes, Not Just Russia

No matter what the Russia investigation turns up, it likely won’t be acted upon in any effective way. Its clear now that Attorney General Sessions has not really recused himself. Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein seems to be under Trump’s thumb. Both House and Senate want to block an investigation. The Republican Congress will not impeach their strong leader who passes their policies.

So appointing a Republican politician to FBI Director will skew investigations on ALL issues to a Republican bias. Attorney General Jeff Sessions was a politician, and already is supporting Trump stands on all issues, and ruling against immigrants, the poor, minorities, health care recipients, voting rights, clean energy, climate change, strict marijuana law enforcements, presumably even in states where medical marijuana is legal, etc. This will carry over to a political FBI Director as well.

We now know that Trump, in the White House, violated the independence of an investigation by asking FBI Director Comey if Trump was being investigated. Trump then told Comey that he demanded loyalty from his appointees. This stopped being legal in the US when we overthrew King George III Of Great Britain. Government employees are sworn to uphold the Constitution, like President Trump did. They are not there to be only loyal to the President, or any of their supervisors.

Then Trump gave the greatest insult that he could to a government employee: he said he wanted an FBI director who was loyal to the United States, insinuating the Director Comey had not been. Trump has only served 100 plus days in the US Government, or any government. Many US Government employees devote their lifetime service to the US and its government. Publicly questioning their loyalty is a great insult.

The loyalty oath was a big issue when it was required by the University of California in 1950. I was a liberal and opposed it. When much to my surprise and naivety, at my first day registering at UCLA, I was told that all entering male students would have to serve two years in ROTC. At the end of a long line to join ROTC, I was given a loyalty oath to sign, since I was joining the armed forces, or my education would be ended. I signed.

Along with the Supreme Court Justice appointment, the Attorney General’s office, and the Congressional acquiescence and backing, with the FBI Director, Trump will be protected from any challenges to his executive orders from within the federal government.

About Dennis SILVERMAN

I am a retired Professor of Physics and Astronomy at U C Irvine. For two decades I have been active in learning about energy and the environment, and in reporting on those topics for a decade. For the last four years I have added science policy. Lately, I have been reporting on the Covid-19 pandemic of our times.
This entry was posted in 2016 Election, Affairs of State, Congressional Investigation, Constitution, Donald Trump, FBI Director, Politics, Russia, Trump Administration, Voting Rights. Bookmark the permalink.