When Trump’s Prejudices Hit Home

When Trump’s Prejudices Hit Home

I had been holding back about Trump’s racist tweets, since they were already being condemned in all media, except Fox News, who was laughing about them, and the GOP.

But his comments today and yesterday have hit home.  Yes, I complain about Trump’s America, but that doesn’t mean that I need to leave the country of my birth.  No less than Lindsay Graham is now calling all Democrats Communists and anti-semites.  We’ve been through that several times before, with the Red Scare, and the HUAC Army-McCarthy purge of Jewish writers.  The go-back-to-where-you-came-from has also been used against all immigrants or children of immigrants, as well as Jews and Muslims.

Update:  The House has voted to Censure Trump for his statements, with only 2% of Republicans joining with Democrats.  Who knew that the phrase “go back to where you came from” is labeled as workplace harassment by the federal government?  Probably all three million trained federal employees.

“This land is your land, this land is my land, From California (me) to the New York island (Trump)”.  Just like Trump, who complains more about America than anybody else, “Make America Great Again”, I am going to stay here, and do my utmost to return America to the standards of Democracy before the Trump Regime took power.  “This land was made for you and me.”  Please, Donald, let one of your many lawyers read you the First Amendment, included in the Constitution that you swore to obey, on the Lincoln Bible.  The First Amendment ends:  “or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”  There is no mention of leaving the US instead.

I don’t want to stoop to Trump’s level, so I will not expand on Trump’s mother being from Scotland, and therefore Trump’s responsibility to return to his half-homeland of the United Kingdom to rescue them from the problems of Brexit.  I also will not discuss that four out of Trump’s five children’s mothers were immigrants, and they could go back to the countries of their mothers to solve their problems.  Melania, our First Lady, could also go back to Slovenia to solve their problems.  Hillary Clinton pointed out that three of the attacked women were born in America, and all four were citizens.  This IS their country to try to set it right. 

I also won’t point out Trump’s misogyny in attacking women leaders, or his racism in attacking black leaders, starting with his birtherism attack on President Obama.  Having now women in Congress who are also of color, fell right into Trump’s compulsions to attack.

The other thing that hit home is that my father fled Romania/Russia and sought refuge in America.  He passed through many countries on the way here, which is now being arbitrarily banned by a rule change.  My father also became a citizen by serving in the US armed forces in World War I.  Trump has now removed that road to Citizenship, which defames all who serve this country in the military.  No need to point out that Trump has not even served in the military.

Trump revealed in his comments what he really has against AOC.  He blamed New York’s loss of the location of Amazon’s new campus solely on her shoulders, and not the people of Brooklyn.  Trump probably saw big dollar signs from the wealthier Amazonians moving into Trump Tower and playing at his golf clubs.  Remember when Presidents separated their businesses from the country’s business?

As far as the Communist charges, the only politicians that I know that have connections with Communism live in the White House.  Melania lived 18 years in Communist Yugoslavia before she could leave on her modeling career.  Trump held a beauty contest in Moscow.  Then he tried to get a Trump Tower Moscow, up until Election Day.  He has also held personal and secret meetings with Putin and Kim Jong Un.   Trump also has tariffs against $200 billion of Chinese goods, paid for by US consumers, and China now has a $60 billion tariff against US goods, paid for by US businesses, in Trump’s Tariff War against Communist China.   Trump hosted the Chinese leader at his Mar-a-Lago resort.  C’est la vie.

We don’t have time to mention all of Trump’s connections to Communist Russia.  “Russia if you are listening”.  Eric saying that most of Trump’s financing came from Russian sources.  And Trump’s refusal to accept the unanimous intelligence analysis that Russia hacked the Democrats emails in the 2016 election, and ran a social media influence campaign.

It’s odd that if you take Trump’s tweet literally for the three women who come from the US:  “they came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all)” then that actually applies literally to Trump’s own Administration.

How many times has everybody said, that if a Democratic President said the racist things that Trump has, he or she would be impeached the same day!  Instead of hiding behind the White House’s white supremacist Steve Miller, Trump’s white supremacy is now out in the open, for all of his party and backers to be embarrassed by.  Speaking out at the “Made In America” event, Trump embarrassed them, when it seemed that they applauded his racist comments.

About Dennis SILVERMAN

I am a retired Professor of Physics and Astronomy at U C Irvine. For a decade I have been active in learning about energy and the environment, and in lecturing and attending classes at the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) at UC Irvine.
This entry was posted in Donald Trump. Bookmark the permalink.