Ratio of Excess Deaths to Confirmed Coronavirus Deaths by State

We use CDC data to early September as integrated by the New York Times in a September 23rd article.  The Excess Deaths are those in excess of those of the last few years, which count the full casualties of the disruptions of the barely contained US Coronavirus pandemic.  For various states, the data are from March 15 to September 5, or 12.

For the US as a whole, until September 5, the 200,000 Coronavirus Confirmed Deaths were just a part of the 267,000 Excess Deaths, which were 33% greater.

We show in the table the State and our calculation of the ratio of Excess Deaths in previous  years to the Confirmed Coronavirus Cases.  We include the four largest states and some other key states.

State Ratio of Excess to Confirmed Deaths
CA 1.68
TX 1.70
FL 1.71
NJ 1.14
NY 1.25
IL 1.52
MI 1.62
PA 1.24

This entry was posted in Coronavirus, COVID-19, Health Care, IHME Projections. Bookmark the permalink.