How did you use this product/subscription in your course?

This review is for the iOgrapher Filmmaking Case. I used it to hold an iPad Pro to capture videos for my online courses.

In what ways do you feel the product/subscription supported student learning, if at all?

The iOgrapher Filmmaking Case has two handles, so it was easier to stabilize handheld shots with the iPad. In addition, the case has three cold-shoe mounts that made it easy to attach accessories such as shotgun microphones or camera-mounted lights. With this case, I was actually able to use my iPad Pro as a video camera and still able to get some decent video footage that could be used in an online course.

My main purpose in buying the case was to get handheld shots with my iPad. Since the footage was captured in my iPad, I could quickly edit with iMovie and upload to Youtube. So, this case contributed to student learning by allowing me to quickly make more lecture videos with decent image and sound quality.

What challenges, if any, did you encounter when using this product/subscription?

The iPad fits very snugly with the case, so other iPad models could not be used. Also, the snug fit made it difficult to remove the iPad after I was done recording. In the future, when I replace my iPad, I will also have to replace the case.

The plastic feels cheap, but has not broken and held up through the rigors of my filming.

What advice would you give to a colleague who’s interested in using this product?

If anyone is thinking of using the iPad as a video camera, then the iOgrapher case is a needed piece of equipment. Otherwise, it’s not possible to shoot handheld shots or to attach any accessories to support filming. Why would anyone want to use the iPad? Well, using the iPad eliminates the need to bring both a video camera and a computer into the field. You can do it all with the iPad: video and audio recording, editing, and uploading to Canvas or Youtube. However, if you’re filming indoors in locations with poor lighting, then the iPad might not be the best video recording tool.

Overall, would you recommend this product/subscription to other faculty?

Yes