Architectures: Serena

For my first map, I illustrated my entire house and the pathways of animals inside and outside. Then I focused on my desk alone, and the ways objects are rearranged to accommodate different activities. Finally, I zoomed all the way in on my keyboard to examine frequency of certain keystrokes during various tasks.

View the full PDF here.

map of my house with color-coded animal paths in and around it
My house, with paths of the animals in & around it. Larger dots indicate more time spent.
four maps of my desk, corresponding with different activities
My desk, rearranged for four different activities.
map of my keyboard, color coded with frequently used activities
My keyboard use, during three different activities. Larger dots indicate heavier use.

4 Replies to “Architectures: Serena”

1. That’s actually not the mistake! On my keyboard, “alt” and “option” are the same key. The mistake has to do with one of my activities πŸ˜‰

1. Hello Serena. I was amazed by your take on the keyboard. How clever you are! Is that a MAC keyboard? I am puzzled by some of the combo uses I am trying to reproduce base on your Key πŸ™‚

1. Omar,
      Yep, it’s a Mac keyboard. If I’d been clever I would have found a vector somewhere, but I manually drew the whole thing in Illustrator. I can tell what my typical use patterns are based on the visible wear on each key. For the other two activities, the data may be a little less accurate because it’s a guess based on what I think I usually type, rather than visual evidence. Probably harder for you to reproduce! (There is also at least one mistake in there, can you spot it?)