Exercise 2.1.3 – Informations; Campaign Signs, Tara Suan

Yes or No on 1631, which will it be?

Both these signs pack a punch with their design.  The No camp has got some fierce language on their side. Not only is it a no, its a NO. And it’s a STOP. This sign features strong primary colors, dominantly red, evocative of the Republicans, perhaps? Meanwhile in the yes camp its a cheerful, hopeful future in blue, green and yellow. I think both of these signs achieve a lot in the way of being “good” campaign signs.

However, what bothers me about them is they are both deceptive and meant to push people to opposite ends. That is how campaigns are won, but, it bugs me. 1631 is not just about sunshine and clean air. It’s a tax. And it’s also not unfair. Both these signs manipulate the public into voting and it’s super irritating. Of course, if I were voting in Washington I would pick a side and it would be the side that isn’t the fossil fuel companies spending millions to defeat this bill. So color me blue, green and yellow!

I tried to find a campaign sign that wasn’t good, but I didn’t see any. I also only walk and take the bus, so what I see is what I see. Have a look at this cute one. I don’t know that I agree with the bi-tonal “B-Right” but it’s a very memorable sign, with the subject’s winning name and the cute little lightbulb.