Geographies: Liliana Hernandez

This exercise actually really helped me take a little breather this week, I was stressing about everything going on and going for a stroll helped me just get away from it all and focus on myself and my surroundings, as opposed to obsessing over my calendar and the things on my todo list.

It was a little difficult jumping back and forth from sketching and walking and figuring out when my next decision point should be; I constrained myself to walking around during my lunch hour at work and I wanted to be sure to arrive back at my office by the end of the hour. This made me reflect on a tendency I have to want to control everything and make it fit, which can be helpful in some cases but stressful in others.

I thought it was interesting how much you could see even just around some plain office buildings and parking lots – I loved seeing the flowers and hearing the birds chirp as I walked, but also felt a little out of place when walking along a bigger street and felt everyone’s eyes on me.

At the end of my excursion, I found one of my coworkers heading out for his usual quick walk and we talked a little about MHCID when I explained to him I was doing an assignment for class. So, I added that near the end of my map!