Objects, Part 1: Alexa Steinhauser

Gold-plated four sided cheese grater

An object I love… 

is this cheese grater!  I’m not going to lie; I may have bought it purely for aesthetic reasons, but was surprised when it actually worked well. Each of the four sides has different-sized openings used for a variety of grating styles. In this particular picture, the horizontal holes are used to slice things with an even thickness (which I have used for radishes and zucchinis).  It’s logical constraints limit this item to be used only as sharp items are used, but its form and slant signify the grater be set down on a flat surface (such as a cutting board) so the cheese or other delicacy be spread out easier than from a vertical surface. The handle on top affords itself to be held down while used… and while it may seem uncomfortable to hold, it’s actually quite fitting for a hand. For me, it goes beyond obvious need or expectation, and entices people with its unique shape and finish for a regular kitchen item.

———————————————————————————————–

An object I hate…

is this stool! Okay, I know this is a repeat picture and object from our chairs post… but I seriously despise having to sit on this for more than five minutes. Of course the affordance of the shape and size of this object is to sit down, but because it doesn’t provide any back rest, it is extremely uncomfortable. The pieces of wood towards the bottom also afford for the person sitting to rest their feet on it, but the height isn’t low enough for it to feel natural. I will say, however, that this stool lends itself to be used as a step-stool to reach things on the top shelf of the cabinet. Its seat slightly adheres to contour bias, which is probably the reason I bought it at the thrift store over the traditional, circular-topped stool.