Objects, Part 1: Omar Filippelli

An Object Omar Loves

This simple and symmetric object is a range hood. I just replaced an inset microwave for this hood because I always wanted to have something more effective at keeping the smoke and fumes of the kitchen from spreading all over the house. Specially, when I am cooking my favorite steaks, fish, and chicken dishes.

The hood aesthetic design is inviting and conducive to better usability combined with a limited set of actions grouped in a related sequence for good continuation practice. Plus, good application and use of constraints necessary to allow the user interaction with the artifact with a minimum set of variations for the better control of the unit.

It is clear what actions can be taken and nothing else clutters the interface. The accompanying iconic representation on each button provides affordances that clearly correlate and map the full set of functions available to the user.

As the expected and user basic needs are met with the main functionality the hood design moves into up in the hierarchy of needs pyramid by providing  two easy to remove and wash filters. Plus an added set of lights for better view of the range and cooking area. The design fits my kitchen perfectly and what is most important is that it works better than expected. The one thing I will consider less than perfect is the noise of the fan when turn on. It’s a bit laud which prevents me from listening the TV when I am cooking and watching something. Everything else works like a charm.

An Object Omar Hates

Item I hate is this electronic light switch. I bought it and installed it when I traveled to Europe. It was easy to install and somewhat easy to follow directions on a (microscopic font size) installation guide.

This devise allowed me to set time intervals for certain lights to be turned on and off when I am away from the house for long periods of time.

The idea is great, and it worked as designed for the first few times. But one day I lost the small user guide and now the lights do whatever they want they turn on a three in morning, 4 in the afternoon, and when I try turning them off it doesn’t obey the command. Its like I make things worse every time I press something. They’ve turned into a nightmare for me.

With a very minimalistic and aesthetic design this device show promise but the user interaction iconic representation on buttons, corresponding affordances, and UI Button mapping have done nothing to help me remember (Memorability) what to do to reset. Even though it has the known labels such as Mode, Prog, Time, etc. every time I try to do something with it the feedback I get is opposite to what I try to do provoking cognitive dissonance in my experience and expectations. I do manage more complex UIs during my every day experience with everything I do. But this little thing caused me to experience more frustration than I think is allowed due to the low cost of the artifact.

One Reply to “Objects, Part 1: Omar Filippelli”

1. Looks like you were forced to come up with your own user manual for this light switch, Omar. The chimney/hood also comes with lower noise producing versions too. Thanks for your posts!