Objects, Part 1: Tiffany Tam

Power Pressure Cooker XL

A object that I love is my Electric Power Pressure Cooker XL. Why do I love it? Because it cooks me delicious food FAST. I have owned it for over two years and have used it almost every week to meal prep. It is so good, I would argue that if you owned this, you could survive without a kitchen. This pressure cooker is very easy to use and the visibility of all functions are not only indicated with words but with pictures too. There are 10 buttons: Delay time, Time Adjustment, Power/Cancel, Canning, Soup, Slow Cook, Rice/Risotto, Beans, Vegetables, Meat. To cook a meal, you add the required ingredients, press the button for the corresponding “type” of food and set the time. There is also appropriate feedback designed into the product. The buttons beep and light up when you press on it and a digital display lets you know the remaining cook time. The only complaint I have is that you aren’t given the option of cooking something longer than 20 minutes. Although most pressure cooker recipes don’t require more than 20 minutes, there are times I would like to be able to leave the pressure cooker on for a little bit longer. This constraint is probably built in for my own safety but I have found a workaround so it’s not really a big deal.

Misery Faucet

Although this product wasn’t in my house, I hated it so much I felt the need to write about it.  I came across this faucet at my parents house when I visited them over the weekend. The faucet has a handle that affords to be turned but when I turned it nothing happened. I proceeded to move the handle back and forth with no luck, I thought that I broke the faucet. I had to call my dad and ask him if the faucet was broken, and he chuckled and said “it’s sensor operated.” I waved my hand all around the faucet with no luck. It turned out that the sensor was behind the spout. There was no visible indicator of where the sensor would be located. To add more fuel to the fire, you have leave the faucet handle on the ON setting in order for water to actually come out. If you turn the handle to the OFF setting, then the sensor stops working. What is the point of that handle if running the water is operated by a sensor? There is also no feedback when you turn the faucet on (literally nothing happens). The faucet did not need the handle, it was an unnecessary constraint that made me believe the faucet was broken.

I would also like to note that my uncle (who happens to live next door to my parents) also has the same faucet but the sensor is located at the TOP of the faucet and not the back. So when I tried to use his faucet, I had to wave my hands around the object for 2 minutes before I figured out how to turn it on. I am not sure what brand designed these particular faucets but I know I am not buying them anytime soon. How can there be no indicators or visibility of where the sensor is!

One Reply to “Objects, Part 1: Tiffany Tam”

1. I love the way you write. Getting the principles in but full of personality. I can feel the frustration you feel toward the misery faucet. I can see it lacks consistency.