Team 1 Principle #4: Feedback

Feedback, as defined by Don Norman in The Design of Everyday Things, is any means of “communicating the results of an action” to the user. Norman goes further by defining a set of standards that all feedback should meet; it should be immediate, proportionate, well-designed, planned, and prioritized. Feedback has grown much broader as our scope of technology has expanded, including haptic vibrations, vocal response, various interface states, and so on. In essence, Norman’s original definition still holds true, but has expanded beyond his original examples of simple flashing lights and beeps. In our current era of technology, interfacing might contain numerous forms of feedback to accommodate a slew of user needs for a single button press.

Example 1 – Dishwashers

Dishwasher controls

One of Norman’s key gripes about poor feedback was the beeping of his dishwasher in the early morning. He felt that, rather than meaningful interfaces, cost-cutting systems held precedence in the design of the device, thus resulting in an annoying, meaningless beep when the dishwasher’s cycle had finished. As his typical use of the machine occurred late at night, he was often woken up by this beeping. Unfortunately, this type of feedback still exists in current models, although some allow you to configure the beeping volume, or even turn it off. In other ways, however, dishwashers have gained new types of feedback. Newer models show clocks and timers which may be edited on the fly, and some even show timelines of the current cycle and the system as a whole. Pressing a button shines an indicator light, as well as changing the digital display accordingly. These changes have improved feedback on these machines, but there is still much left to be desired in that realm.

Example 2: Google Material Design

Google Material Design
Image courtesy of Google at material.io

Google’s ambitious Material Design for Android has become a standard in application and mobile development, and has easily branched out into the world of web and interface design. This is largely due to their focus on accessibility in design, much of which is echoed throughout the feedback of each component. Material Design standardizes innumerablew types of interactions and the states associated with them, as well as the feedback tied to each through multiple means – including haptic, visual, and auditory responses. One clear example of this is the button states laid out in this design system.

Google Material Design Button States
Image courtesy of Google at material.io

Each state of a button shows clear feedback to the user of when the button is held, pressed, or dragged, and this feedback has been carefully engineered to be shown around a finger press or mouse click. For example, the purple button on the bottom-right shows the beginning of a circle protruding around where the user has touched, giving a visual indication of interaction with that space. Similarly, the selected line item in the middle-top shows a clear color change and filled check box upon selection, giving the user an immediate notification that their action was input. These visual indicators are just one factor Google focuses on, and might be complimented with vibrations and sounds matching the direction and intensity of the action.

Example 3:  Instagram Photo Editing

Instagram does a fantastic job of giving immediate visual feedback to the user in multiple ways, including both a comprehensive “end-product” view of their photo, as well as clear selection states similar to my previous example.

Instagram - Photo Editor  Instagram - Photo Editor  Instagram - Photo Editor

In the above example, editing a photo of my dog allows me numerous options, including a choice of filter and the ability to fine-tune setting such as saturation and brightness. In the filter selection, I am given a small thumbnail previewing each effect, as well as a larger version of my current image with all edits being made. Not only is the selected filter popped out more than the others, but its title is much darker, showing me that I’ve clearly selected that option. Further, I am able to select each one and see it’s effect without finalizing anything. This feedback is immediate, changing the image right before my eyes. Once I go into more detailed editing of the photo, I am also able to manipulate a slider, which dynamically changes the image in front of me. I’m not given only a before/after, but rather I can see my image change in degrees as soon as I begin moving the slider with the finger. Small percentages of change are visible to the user on the fly, giving immediate feedback to every change I want to make. This is an excellent example of visual feedback at work.

2 Replies to “Team 1 Principle #4: Feedback”

1. Amazon Echo has many features that show examples of feedback. However, I do think there will be a Buzzfeed article 20 years from now called “I Love the 2010’s” that pokes fun at people asking Alexa to turn off a light 10 times instead of just getting up and doing it themselves…

When you give a command to Alexa, you immediately know if she heard you if a light on the outer rim of the device lights up blue and you hear Alexa’s “recognition sound.” If Alexa doesn’t understand you (which is quite often), she’ll verbally ask you to repeat yourself, ask for clarification, or answer you incorrectly. She’ll also let you know if she can’t answer something (which is also quite often) by saying, “I don’t know that one” or “Hmmmm. I’m not sure.” Alexa’s light changes different colors to indicate her status. For instance, she’ll turn blue for power and listening, orange when she’s connecting to Wi-Fi, and red when her microphone is disabled. When you ask her to solve a math equation, she’ll repeat the equation back to you so that you know she heard the correct numbers. If she didn’t, you can correct her (sometimes, several times).

Can’t wait to see how awesome Alexa is in 10 years.

2. Feedback is one of my favorite design principles. A design that provides excellent feedback makes my life meaningfully easier. There are lots of examples of terribly designed washing machines and dryers that provide poor feedback. However, an example of a design that provides great feedback is my LG washing machine. The buttons have excellent tacticle feedback, when you push on them, you feel the button go in. There is even auditory feedback in form of a natural click. When you push the power button, the lights for the different modes do a little dance to let you know they can be changed. Turning the center control provides feedback, and you can feel a click as you switch between each mode. As you switch between the modes, you are given visual feedback to the different water, temperature, and spin settings associated with that mode.
    There is also visual feedback to tell you how long the cycle will take. Finally, instead of an obtrusive beep at the end of the cycles, there is a playful melody that plays.

See this video for a quick demonstration:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n_LQSlROEIb9eqSyzER5p7F3BcQATDFw