Team 9 Principle #5: Wabi-Sabi

Wabi-sabi is a traditional Japanese philosophy that embraces the “impermanent, imperfect and incomplete.” Wabi is a concept that refers to beauty in the unique and unrepeated, while sabi refers to beauty that can be found after time has passed and worn an object. In design, it can be applied to singular objects as well as interior design and architecture. Wabi-sabi is seen as a ways to appreciate weathered materials, natural processes and simplicity. It opposes traditional Western ideals of symmetry and flawless durability, and values the organic forms and materials found in nature.

Example 1 (cited by original source):

This example is from the book… it showcases unfinished wood materials and asymmetrical but modern forms on the exterior of the house. The interior shows the raw aesthetic of the rope alongside the staircase and organic, natural shapes of the decor.

Example 2 (located online):

This example shows the interior of The Musket Room, a New Zealand-inspired restaurant located in New York, New York. One of the walls features “lime-washed exposed brick” and wishbone dining chairs, each made to look unique and hand-carved. The details show weathered materials to enhance its beauty.

Example 3 (Found in real life):

This is an example of Tiffany’s bowl that reflects the ideas of wabi-sabi. It’s finished, decorative glaze is asymmetrical in design, and seems intentionally unintentional and natural in gesture. It features a muted dark brown often found outside. The table it’s sitting on could also be considered of the same aesthetic, as it is an unfinished, natural wood.

references:
  1. Lidwell, William, et al. Universal Principles of Design 125 Ways to Enhance Usability, Influence Perception, Increase Appeal, Make Better Design Decisions, and Teach through Design. Rockport, 2010.
  2. “Top Interior Design Trends 2018: Wabi-Sabi 7.” D.Signers, www.dsigners.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Wabi-Sabi-7.jpg.
  3. https://www.musketroom.com/about/
  4. Lawrence, Robyn Griggs. “Wabi-Sabi: The Art Of Imperfection.” Utne, Ogden Publications, Inc., 2001, www.utne.com/mind-and-body/wabi-sabi.

5 Replies to “Team 9 Principle #5: Wabi-Sabi”

1. Hi Alexa! This is one of my favorite concepts – I saw your post after posting my second comment so I can’t help myself, I’m going to do three for this assignment.

As a philosophy, the tradition of kintsugi (or fixing ceramics/lacquerware) with precious metals like gold, silver, platinum etc is similar to wabi sabi in its embrace of imperfection that makes it beautiful.

I think this concept is particularly powerful because when we design things in the workplace, we’re designing for humans, or deeply flawed beings. But we can acknowledge their flaws and celebrate with them when they overcome their fears. I think a really good example of this (albeit very indirectly), is Mailchimp’s user experience when a user submits an email campaign. Before submitting the campaign, Mailchimp has a sweaty monkey hand about to press a nuclear bomb button above “Are you sure?”. They ask the user to double check to make sure they are doing it right – effectively, Mailchimp understands that we (especially first time email campaign senders) are imperfect, and acknowledges our fears (“What if we send the wrong email campaign to 500 people?). After the user submits the campaign, they are given a high five animation that tell them congrats on sending an email campaign out to a distribution list of hundred or more people. After they track how much time you spend in the area around the send button (experienced users just press “Send Campaign” when they’re done writing the email and don’t spend much time in that area), and how many times you’ve sent email campaigns, the animation changes to “You’re a Rockstar” to celebrate how far the user has come from their first time sending an email campaign. They are now also “power users”, and the home dashboard changes a little to be a bit more powerful and advanced. This had a huge improvement in user satisfaction of the product. So this is one very indirect example of wabisabi, where we embrace human imperfection in a digital UI to create a more nuanced and powerful experience.

You can see examples of kintsugi here: https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/05/kintsugi-the-art-of-broken-pieces/

Mailchimp high fives here: https://brandastic.com/blog/high-fives-all-around-mailchimp-brand-review/

2. Hi Team 9,

Kathlyn here representing Team 2.

Funny story: I just learned about wabi-sabi today at work, and found it a happy surprise that this is one of the design principles featured by your team, and in our UPoD book! (Clearly I have not looked through the entire thing…)

Anyway, the reason why I had to learn about it today at work is because, as some of you know, I curate art and one of our artists at Minted is also featured on Artfully Walls, and her bio talks about her appreciation for wabi-sabi. I would say her art resembles that natural, organic, “beauty in imperfection” feel as wabi-sabi.

https://www.artfullywalls.com/artists/26/ashleigh-ninos

What do you think?

3. Hi Alexa,
    What an interesting design principle! As I was reading the descriptions and looking over the examples you provided I couldn’t help but think about the current hipster trend. People are appreciating the beauty that is found in worn objects whether it is actually worn out or designed to look that way. It be in seen in apparel, kitchenware, and even in furniture. The biggest example of that is the success of urban outfitters, that specializes in looks that tend to give out that feeling.

I was also thinking of an anti wabi-sabi example and that is specific forms of plastic surgery/procedures that are becoming increasingly more popular. The concept of wabi-sabi should be fed more into the media. However, you do notice the trends changing with magazine covers featuring models highlighting and embracing their “imperfections”.

4. Hi Team 9,

This is Robin from Team 6. I appreciate your post on Wabi-Sabi principle. I knew the aesthetics of this principle but didn’t know the term until now. You gave really good examples of Wabi-Sabi principle. There’s beauty in imperfection of Wabi-Sabi thinking. The modest and naturalistic approach can add another layer of texture to modern designs. I found additional examples here: https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/09/16/wabi-sabi-principle-japanese-aesthetics-emphasizes-beauty-found-imperfection/

5. Hello Team 9,

It’s Alex representing Team 8. I really enjoy that you chose Wabi Sabi as a principle.

Working in fashion and dating a fashion designer myself, I find it interesting that many apparel retailers go to great lengths to imitate destruction in denim. Tears in the fabric, washes that appear more faded, and patches that are not applied symmetrically often times make a piece more valuable. In this way, the most ubiquitous apparel item in Western culture is actually in opposition Western ideals in aesthetics.