These are very difficult times and not having the right equipment to access your coursework can make them even more difficult. To help alleviate the challenge of securing appropriate computer equipment for remote learning, UCI has secured a number of laptops for free loan during Spring quarter to students who don’t have access to key remote learning tools.
In particular, students who don’t have access to the following computer equipment, which is required to run Zoom (for web conferencing) and Respondus Monitor + LockDown Browser (for online test proctoring), might benefit from borrowing a laptop:
- Windows or Mac OS X operating systems (Google Chromebooks, iPads, iPhones, and Android tablets and phones do not support Respondus)
- A webcam
- A microphone
In Spring Quarter, the majority of courses will be delivered in a remote format.
Instructors may implement a variety of methods to deliver course content and facilitate student engagement. Below are instructions for how to utilize YuJa and Zoom, two common tools that will be used by instructors.
- If your class is using YuJa: Access videos through Canvas (if your class is using Canvas) or the links provided by your instructors
- If your class is using Zoom: Instructors will provide you with an unique link for course Zoom meetings.
In these trying times, we appreciate the flexibility of our student body. As mentioned, if you have questions or concerns about a particular course, please contact your instructor, who will be able to provide the answer or connect you with individuals on campus who are able to provide assistance.
If you are still on campus, computer labs are still available, although may have limited hours. As of 3/18, the Library study spaces have closed.
- OIT Computer Labs
- Computer labs have Respondus software installed; be sure to open this instead of Chrome when taking an exam
Please practice social distancing and wash your hands before and after using labs or study spaces.
Off campus? OIT Tech Prep has resources about various Internet service providers →
Your instructors have a couple of options when it comes to using Canvas to manage group collaboration.
Here is information on using the two most commonly used options:
If the features in the above links are not available to you, then your instructor has most likely not enabled those features. Please contact your instructor or TA directly with any questions.
Instructor/TA to Student
Your instructors have several options when it comes to communicating with you. Here are a few of the commonly used options in Canvas and EEE:
- Canvas Announcements: These will appear in your Canvas course space when posted by an instructor
- You can optionally receive these notifications via email or text: learn how to configure Canvas Notifications
- Class Email List: These will be delivered to you via email; you won't need to do anything
Student to Student
The University is also providing Zoom
- Zoom: The campus has purchased a Zoom license for every student, instructor, and staff member at UCI
- Learn how to download, login to, and use Zoom
- Email: Your UCI Gmail account continues to be available to you: