John Sung: 2018-2019
John graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a Bachelor of Science in Public Health. He then matriculated as an M.D. candidate at the Texas A&M College of Medicine. During his clinical clerkships, he developed a strong interest in urology and urologic research. After completing his third year of medical school, he decided to join the UC Irvine Department of Urology as a LIFT fellow.
Active Clinical Trials:
- Diuresis of patients prior to Non-contrast computed tomography for Kidney stones (DRINK)
- Prospective, Randomized Comparison of Conventional and Triple Bolus CT Urography Protocols in the Management of Hematuria
- Comparison of Dual Lumen versus Single Lumen Ureteroscopes
- Doersch K, Machen M, Sung JM, Thai K, El Tayeb M. Feasibility and clinical outcomes of ureteral stenting in the office procedural suite. The Canadian Journal of Urology. 2018; Accepted for Publication.
- Sung JM, Chen CJ, Peters CA. Testicular atrophy in follow-up after torsion. South Central Section AUA. Nashville, TN, September 25-28, 2018.
- Sung JM, Gonzales MX, Sun JJ, Volnov Y, Kim A, Moon, TS. The Difficult Airway: Incidence and Predictors in Lean vs. Obese Patients in a Large Public Teaching Hospital. UTSW Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management Summer Medical Research Forum. Dallas, TX, July 13, 2016.
- Chen CJ, Sung JM, Peters CA. Testicular Atrophy Following Torsion in Pediatric Patients. Society of Pediatric Urology 2018 Fall Congress. Atlanta, GA, September 14-16, 2018.
- Doersch K, Machen L, Sung JM, El Tayeb M. Clinic vs operating room ureteral stenting as an approach to urgent management of urological conditions. South Central Section AUA. Nashville, TN, September 25-28, 2018.
- Doersch K, Machen M, Sung JM, El Tayeb M. Impact of Ureteral Stent Placement in the Office on Cost and Time to Relief of Obstruction. Medical Research Colloquium at the Round Rock Clinical Campus, Round Rock, TX, Feburary 8, 2018.
- Parkhomenko E, Lama D, Lall C, Lin C, Owyong M, Sung JM, Patel RM, Kaler KS, Clayman RV, Landman J. Interim Analysis of a Comparison Between Conventional and Triple Bolus Computed Tomography Protocols in the Evaluation of Hematuria. World Congress of Endourology. Paris, France, September 20-23, 2018.
Frank Jefferson: 2018-2019
Frank graduated summa cum laude from North Carolina State University, where he earned a Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences. He is currently a fourth-year medical student at the Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University. Frank became interested in urology during his first year of medical school. He joined the UC Irvine Department of Urology as a LIFT fellow in order to develop his abilities as a clinical researcher under the mentorship of Dr. Landman and Dr. Clayman. Among other studies, he is currently leading the investigation of the use of immersive virtual reality as a preoperative planning tool for laparoscopic donor nephrectomy, in addition to a project studying operating room efficiency and cost savings afforded by an automated irrigation pump during PCNL and ureteroscopy. Frank had the opportunity to present his research as a LIFT fellow at the 2018 World Congress of Endourology in Paris, France, and he will also be presenting his most current research at the 2019 American Urological Association meeting in Chicago.
Active Clinical Trials:
- Immersive Virtual Reality Renal Models as Educational and Preoperative Planning Tools for Laparoscopic Living Donor Nephrectomy
- Prospective Randomized Comparison of Standard Hand Pump Irrigation and an Automated Irrigation System (Thermedx® FluidSmartTM) for Operative Efficiency during Endourological Procedures
- Preoperative Renal Mass Biopsy Changes Clinical Practice and Reduces Unnecessary Surgical Intervention Rates
- Hurley J, Edwards TN, Jefferson FA, Harrell K, Haisch CE. The Impact of Peer-Led Mock Practicals [abstract]. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2017; 225(4S1): S183-S184.
- Jefferson FA, Bishawi M, Bowles D, Pizzo S, Patel C, Milano C. Plasma Caspase Activity During Heart Failure and LVAD Support. U-CARS Utah Cardiac Recovery Symposium, University of Utah School of Medicine, January 13, 2017. Presentation given by Jefferson FA. Platform Presentation.
- Hurley JH, Edwards T, Jefferson FA, Harrel K. The impact of peer-led mock anatomy mock practical exams. Brody School of Medicine Medical Education Day, Brody School of Medicine, April 12, 2017. Presentation given by Jefferson FA and Hurley JH. Platform Presentation.
- Hurley JH, Edwards T, Jefferson FA, Harrel K, Zerona N, Haisch CE. The impact of peer-led mock practical exams. American College of Surgeons 2017 Clinical Congress, San Diego, California, October 25, 2017. Platform Presentation.
- Boyer PJ, Coleman JP, Pratson CL, Griffin LM, Liles DK, Marri V, Carroll RG, Smith J, Botros AN, Jefferson FA, Miles JA, Edwards TN, Lawson LE. Curriculum Redesign and Organ System-Based Integration of Pathology, Pharmacology, and Medicine Content: An Opportunity for a Meaningful Curriculum Reboot. Brody School of Medicine Medical Education Day, Brody School of Medicine, Mach 21, 2018, Greenville, NC. Platform Presentation.
- Hurley JH, Edwards T, Jefferson FA, Harrel K. The impact of peer-led mock anatomy mock practical exams. Brody School of Medicine Medical Education Day 2016. Greenville, North Carolina, August 04, 2016.
- Jefferson FA, Bishawi M, Bowles D, Pizzo S, Patel C, Milano C. Systemic caspase activity in patients with a Left Ventricular Assist Device. Brody School of Medicine Medical Student Research Day 2016. Greenville, North Carolina, August 08, 2016.
- Hurley JH, Edwards T, Jefferson FA, Harrel K. The impact of peer-led mock anatomy mock practical exams. American Association of Clinical Anatomists: Regional Meeting 2016. Chapel Hill, North Carolina, October 15, 2016.
- Jefferson FA, Bishawi M, Bowles D, Pizzo S, Patel C, Milano C. Plasma Caspase Activity During Heart Failure and LVAD Support. U-CARS Utah Cardiac Recovery Symposium, University of Utah School of Medicine. Salt Lake City, Utah, January 13, 2017.
- Jefferson FA, Somasundaram A, Boyer PJ, Hoppenot RG, Price DL. Pathophysiologic Variations on the Theme of “Stroke”: A Review of Terminology and Case-Based Illustration of the Range of Underlying Hypoxic-Ischemic and Hemorrhagic Pathophysiologic Processes. Eastern Regional Stroke Conference. Greenville, North Carolina, May 05, 2017.
- Jefferson FA, Somasundaram A, Brown S, Bruch LA, Hong H, Boyer PJ. Multiply Recurrent Meningioma with Pulmonary Metastasis: Case Report and Review of Literature. Eastern Carolina Chapter of the Society for Neuroscience, 19th Annual Neuroscience Symposium. Greenville, North Carolina, October 31, 2017.
- McMains JC, Jefferson FA, Powers SA, Odom MR, Pak ES, Hannan JL. Androgen deprivation therapy followed by radical prostatectomy markedly impairs neuronal survival in the major pelvic ganglia. Multidisciplinary Benign Urology Research Day. Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina, May 11, 2018.
- Parkhomenko E, Jefferson FA, Patel RM, Lin C, Okhunov Z, Clayman RV, Landman J. Renal Mass Biopsy Versus Biopsy Practices in Other Organs: A Review and Comparison. World Congress of Endourology. Paris, France, September 20-23, 2018.