Where do I start?

I hardly knew about UCI until I was accepted as an undergraduate.  The first time I went to UCI was Celebrate UCI/Wayzgoose 2007 with my mom.  We rode the shuttle around Ring Road, walked throughout Aldrich park, and attended a few information sessions.  Little did I know, UCI would be my new home for the next four years.  Like a few of my college friends, UCI was not my first choice.  However, when I was walking on Ring Road, walking towards the School of Social Sciences, I looked up, saw the clear blue sky and trees lightly blowing from the breeze, and I knew I was in the right place.   UCI offers such a wide variety of opportunities but has a small campus feel.  It was exciting to be a part of a campus where I could try a lot of new things beyond classes and get to know people well.

So many opportunities – clubs, organizations, etc. – “where do I start?!”  On a whim, I went to a meeting for this club I saw on Ring Road.  I had a blast getting to know all these new friendly people, not to mention attending all the fun afterevents – bonfire at the beach, scavenger hunt in Aldrich park, night market, just to mention a few.  Freshmen year was definitely the year I met a lot of people and started to build stronger friendships, including those from my dorm – Isla!  However, as much fun as I was having, I learned time management the hard way, when I ended up prioritizing my social life over my academics.

By my second year, I wanted to continue to get involved on campus, but this time, with more of an academic/community service enrichment focus.  Over the summer, I had gotten in touch with the director of the Global Connect program and my life was literally forever changed for the better.   First and foremost, the director of the program became my mentor, my second mom.  She not only let me grow and develop my skills through the program, but she also cared about me.  She introduced me to a professor who then became another mentor and research advisor.   I was so fortunate to meet such great people that really cared about my development.  Empowered, I took on MUN, CSLP, UROP1, and Global Connect while keeping my grades up.  My second year is probably my most memorable UCI year – not only because of my new found time management skills, but also because it was a year with many firsts.  It was the first time I lived in an apartment and had to learn how to cook. It was the first time I went party hopping.  It was the first time I met my significant other.  It was the first time that I felt more than just any student at UCI, but someone who could contribute to the UCI community and beyond.

I really wanted to make my time at UCI worth its while.  I got further involved in organizations I felt a better fit, took part in UCDC2, studied abroad in Cyprus, joined a few more organizations, explored the neighboring areas – Newport/Crystal Cove/CDM3, and engaged in several classes/activities that sounded interesting even though it didn’t count for my major – dance, cooking, etc..  I couldn’t have asked for a better undergraduate experience and only hope that all future Anteaters will also take the initiative to take advantage of our beautiful campus. Zot! Zot!

Tammy Lin
Class of 2011
Business Economics and International Studies
School of Social Sciences

Editor’s Note:

1 Model United Nations, Community Service &  Leadership Program, Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program

2 University of California Washington D.C. Program

3 Corona Del Mar

This entry was posted in Tammy Lin. Bookmark the permalink.