Canvas is the learning management system though which students receive course schedules, syllabi and learning materials.
Ilios is the curriculum management system that is used by faculty and administrators to document, track and monitor learning objectives, gaps/redundancies in curricular coverage and instructional methods.
Preparing for Sessions
- Teaching Sessions are typically scheduled for one hour. However, your presentation should be for 50 minutes in order to provide students a break. MS1 sessions usually start on the hour; MS2 sessions usually start at 10 minutes past the hour. Check the course schedules carefully.
- Learning Materials should be updated at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled session so that the Canvas-Ilios integration tool which will run nightly can find the session materials to push to Canvas.
- Please include learning objectives on the first slide of your presentation and identical to those posted on Ilios. Your 7 day reminder generated from Ilios will list the current learning objectives (contact your course director if you make changes).
- Well-written learning objectives use descriptive verbs and state what the learner should be able to do after the session. Read Learning Objectives Guidelines to learn more.
- Topics and MeSH terms should be provided for each session. Work with your course coordinator to update these in Ilios.
- It is recommended that presentation slides have white or light backgrounds and not black or blue as students have difficulty annotating the slides as you lecture.
- Text should be black or dark; in a font size that can be clearly read from the back of the lecture hall. It is easiest to read slides with 10 or less lines of text.
The Teaching Session
- Arrive at least 10 minutes prior to your scheduled event to insure time to upload files to the podium if needed, check video clips, test the microphone, etc.
- Bring your presentation file on a flashdrive to upload to the podium.
- Contact the Educational Technology team using the iMedEd Service Request Form if you have technical concerns regarding your presentation.
- Please follow the schedule and complete your presentation at the designated time. Otherwise, our schedule and other faculty are adversely affected.