Editors’ Blog

The World is Ending but Here Are Ten Poems that Give Me Peace

BY MISHA PONNURAJU · It is weird being a poet as the world seems to be on the brink of apocalypse. The time to reverse climate change is dwindling, the United States is continuing its tradition of human rights violations, and it’s likely that there will be another recession soon. When all of this is happening, I always wonder, “Why poetry?” What does it offer to the poet, to its readers?

Poetry can make everyday objects from ordinary life sacred, and I believe there is hope in everyday life. None of these poems may solve the world’s problems, but it teaches that there is beauty that can put the mind at ease, and enough of the world that is worth saving.  It is essential to take the steps we can protect our Earth from heat and hatred, but it is equally necessary to protect our hearts from getting cold. These poems bring warmth.  To begin New Forum’s summer blog, I thought I’d share some poems that fosters light in an ever-darkening world.

Continue reading The World is Ending but Here Are Ten Poems that Give Me Peace

A Struck Bell: Annie Dillard, and the Recognition of Truth in Writing

BY SARAH MAYO ·  A few years ago, I heard the opening passage of Annie Dillard’s Pilgrim at Tinker Creek read aloud. It made an impression on me; as I listened to a woman describe a tomcat crawling on her chest in the early morning, leaving a trail of blood like roses, I knew that I would remember it, because it sounded like something I had heard before and recognized. I could smell the musty room, and see the window, the bed, the furniture, just becoming visible in the bluish light from a not-yet-risen sun. These weren’t the author’s words, but this was the image I kept in my head like a stone in my shoe for the next two years, remembering the book and knowing that I needed to read it.

Continue reading A Struck Bell: Annie Dillard, and the Recognition of Truth in Writing

Em[body]ment – A Reflection on How Poetry & Performance Shape Each Other

BY LEILA ALSKAF · I was truly dubious to what the art of performance poetry was until I witnessed a Youtube video of Phil Kaye performing a spoken word poem titled “Repetition” at New York’s Bowery Poetry Club.

“I remember the bed just floating there.
Apart – Apart – Apart – 
my mother taught me this trick.
 If you repeat something over and 
over again it loses its meaning.”

Continue reading Em[body]ment – A Reflection on How Poetry & Performance Shape Each Other

From the Books to Home: Remembering Family through Poetry

BY ERIKA HIGBEE · I never thought I’d be using the medium of poetry to tell my mother’s story. Admittedly, the impression of poetry I had for years was that it was for people far wiser and even far wealthier— to contemplate daffodils or the unbearable pangs of love. (Both of these circumstances are still true.) When I began to take the craft of poetry more seriously in my creative writing courses, however, poets like William Carlos Williams and Li-Young Lee surprisingly brought poetry far closer to home. The Rom

antics— good old Wordsworth, Coleridge, Byron— were put on hold, and for a short while I began to read poetry about old women enjoying their neighborhood plums, gritty farm workers, and first-generation Asian Americans who struggled to preserve the language of their mothers. So the “everyday” life wasn’t left out of poetry, after all.

Continue reading From the Books to Home: Remembering Family through Poetry

Live Long Enough to Become: Musings on Florence Welch’s Useless Magic

BY ANALISA GOMEZ · As my fellow editors have noted, imbuing writing with those mentally tangible qualities such as the passing of time, a comedic flare, representation, and so on, is no small task.  Some of the most fundamental and prevalent aspects of life are so easily overlooked in their familiarity. But they are often the source of countless hours in revising and editing.  If done well, this struggle goes unnoticed except in the exquisite sensation that what has been crafted on the page is no less familiar than the steady march of the second hand around the face of your wristwatch.  But permit me to withdraw from the effect this skill has on readers and retreat to an effect writing has on the writer. In my experience as a writer, these aforementioned accomplishments are not the only ways in which the seen and unseen intersect.

Continue reading Live Long Enough to Become: Musings on Florence Welch’s Useless Magic

The Craft of Stand-Up Comedy

BY YANIT MEHTA · Comedians at the very core of their craft are writers. Every comedian creates his/her own fiction (sometimes non-fiction) and delivers it to an audience. Just like any other writer the intent is to elicit a certain response in the audiences. Whether it’s laughs, gasps, dismay or disgust, a comedian must always write his/her way into generating an emotional response in his/her audiences. The one major difference between an average fiction reading and an average stand-up act is that if a comedian leaves with the audience silent for the entirety of his/her act he/she probably failed, or in industry jargon: bombed. Comedians not only, forge detailed narratives but also implement their own elevated fictitious personas to present these jokes after hours of introspection, and deliver them in a meticulously constructed set.

Continue reading The Craft of Stand-Up Comedy

Growing Pains and Growth Rings

BY JOCELLE VALERA · To start off, Adam made a great point last week: “Silent and intangible, Time is difficult to capture, particularly in writing.” I cannot agree more. Immediately I thought about how time is more easily seen and felt, in a sense. I celebrated my 25th birthday about a week ago, which I have yet to fully grasp because I feel I could have done much more with the time that has passed. I am at that point in life when I am witnessing my friends succeed in their careers after college, get married and start families, purchase their dream cars and homes, etc. Family members and friends ask me questions that are difficult for me to answer, and I usually resort to “In time, I will know.” I would find myself in a rut and overanalyze what I could have and should have done…what am I (not) doing?

Continue reading Growing Pains and Growth Rings

Johnson’s Working Time

BY ADAM TIMMS · Time is a difficult thing to address. It sneaks by, often unnoticed, and neglects to stop in for tea. Silent and intangible, Time is difficult to capture, particularly in writing. In my work it tends to pool in irrelevant places, pushing at the paragraphs, distending any attempt at rigid structure into something bulky and graceless. Editing helps to smooth that out. Eventually, I manage to put enough time into ideas that need it to function and drain it out of needlessly bloated concepts.

Pacing is not a problem I face alone. Moving through time in writing is something that many folks struggle with, finding themselves racing through the story in fifteen lines, or unable to escape a scene that is already too long. Transitions feel burdensome, sentence length is a chore. Everything about timing is hard.

Continue reading Johnson’s Working Time

“Kalani”: A So-Called ‘Hawaiian’ Story

BY JULIANNE VU · In keeping with some of Misha’s topics from last week’s New Forum Blog post, I’ll also be taking a moment to talk about representation, but from a different lens. We’ll come in a round-about way to consider the short story “Kalani” by Emma L. Dillingham. “Kalani” is the story of a Hawaiian native and some white colonists in the late 1800s, and Dillingham’s was one of the “Six Prize Hawaiian Stories of the Kilohana Art League” printed in the 1899 by the Honolulu: Hawaiian Gazette Company.

Continue reading “Kalani”: A So-Called ‘Hawaiian’ Story