Applications for summer 2019 are now open
UCI and Hampton University have together developed eligibility criteria for students’ participation in the UCI Pathways to Biophotonics and Biomedical Engineering program. Each student-participant must:
- be enrolled and in good standing at HU, CAU, or ASU
- have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
Applications will be reviewed and selections made by the UCI PBBE PI: Dr. Bruce Tromberg and Program Director Dr. Sari Mahon, Hampton University Program Director: Dr. Zhao Sun, and associated UCI, HU, CAU, and ASU program leaders and faculty mentors. Applications will be accepted for priority consideration before October 15th, 2018, and due on November 1, 2018 with all selections made and summer student commitments completed by December 1.
In addition to completing the online application, please email the following to email@example.com or mail them to Hanna Kim, Beckman Laser Institute, University of California, Irvine, 1002 Health Sciences Road, East, Irvine, CA 92612
- Personal Statement addressing the following points:
- How did you become interested in your field of study?
- What are your educational and career goals?
- What experiences have contributed toward your preparation for your educational and career goals?
- What are your research interests?
- Why are you applying to the UCI Pathways to Biophotonics and Biomedical Engineering Program?
- How are you a “match” for the UCI Pathways to Biophotonics and Biomedical Engineering Program?
- Optional: Describe background characteristics that may have placed you at an educational disadvantage (English language learner, family economic history, lack of educational opportunity, disability, etc.)
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation from a counselor, faculty member, research mentor, or principal investigator. The letter should address the following questions:
- What is your relationship to the applicant? Please include information on how long you have known the applicant and the extent of your interactions.
- What is the applicant’s current research topic? If not actively involved in research, what are the applicant’s interests?
- Please comment on the applicant’s academic merit and motivation including his/her aptitude for pursuing a Ph.D.
- In your opinion, why and how would the applicant benefit from participating in the UC Irvine Pathways to Biophotonics and Biomedical Engineering Program?
- What is it about the applicant that leads you to recommend him/her for the UC Irvine Pathways to Biophotonics and Biomedical Engineering Program?
- A copy of current Academic Transcripts (unofficial are OK)
A second summer of participation is strongly encouraged to deepen the participant’s research experience in a particular lab, with the aim of becoming a co-author on a publication and increasing their competitiveness for graduate admissions. In the event that a participant is applying for a second summer at UC Irvine, one of the two letters of recommendation must be from the UCI faculty mentor from the previous summer.