Now that the weather is getting cooler, give these three ‘comfort food’ soups a try. Enjoy!
ITALIAN SAUSAGE SOUP
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1 lb. sweet Italian sausage, ground
1 cup white rice
1 cup chopped tomatoes in puree (1 10-3/4 oz.can)
1/2 lb. chopped frozen spinach (1 10 oz. box), thawed and drained
6 cups beef broth
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
Pecorino Romano cheese, for garnish
1. Cook ground sausage in a soup pot and break the meat up with a fork as it cooks. Add in rice, beef broth, tomatoes and black pepper and bring to a simmer.
2. Cook 12-15 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in chopped spinach and let simmer for a few minutes.
3. Ladle soup into soup bowls and garnish with freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese.
POT ROAST SOUP
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
2 tablespoons sherry
4 cups canned low sodium beef broth (or homemade)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1-1/2 cups leftover pot roast, shredded into large chunks plus any leftover gravy
Dash Worcestershire sauce
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
Heat oil and butter in a large soup pot over moderate heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, and garlic and saute until tender and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add thyme and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add sherry and stir up any bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pan. Stir in broth, tomato paste, and meat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add Worcestershire and salt and pepper. Serve in a warmed soup bowl sprinkled with chopped parsley.
CREAM OF TOMATO & BASIL SOUP
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
4 tablespoons butter
1 small red onion
2 cups dry white wine
3 cups canned diced tomatoes (or 1 – 12 oz can)
2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
Salt to taste; black pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in a heavy sauce pan. Add red onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add white wine and reduce by 3/4. Add tomatoes and heavy cream, bring to a simmer and reduce by 1/2.
2. Puree soup in a food processor. Stir in 2 tablespoons chopped basil, salt and pepper.
3. Garnish with remaining fresh basil and tomatoes and serve.