Dr. Guaciara Macedo dos Santos
Research Project Scientist, Keck-CCAMS Group
Guaciara dos Santos at the KCCAMS Facility – Installation, maintenance and operation
Laboratory setup and 14C-AMS sample preparation procedures of carbonaceous materials, including ultra-small samples
The phytolith team: Remi Corbenau, Guaciara dos Santos, Paul Reyerson, Ben Fuller, and Anne Alexandre
COLLABORATORS (within and outside UCI)
- Alexandre, A. CR1, CNRS (HDR), CEREGE, France
- Reyerson, P. Dept. of Geography and Earth Science, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
- Andreu-Hayles, L Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Columbia University
- Ellis, E The Evergreen State College
- Ingalls, A.E. School of Oceanography, University of Washington
- Hadad, M.A. CCT-CONICET-Mendoza, Argentina
- Roig, F.A. CCT-CONICET-Mendoza, Argentina
- Czimczik, C.I. Dept. of Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine
- Xu, X. Dept. of Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine
- Park, J. Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources, Korea
- Cobb, K. Earth & Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech
- Southon, J.R. KCCAMS, University of California, Irvine
- Taylor, E. Dept. of Anthropology, University of California, Riverside
- Prior, C. Rafter Radiocarbon Lab, GNS Science, New Zealand
- De Pol-Holz, R. University of Concepcion, Chile
- Augustin, C.H.R.R. CPMTC-IGC-Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, MG, Brazil
- Tomazello Filho, M. Dept. de Ciências Florestais, USP/Piracicaba, SP, Brasil
- Linares, R Fluminense Federal University, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
- Macario, K Fluminense Federal University, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
- Boudin M Royal Institute for Cultural Heritage & Ghent University, Brussels, Belgium
- Badeck, F. Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, Brandenburg, Germany
- Corbenau, R. CR1, CNRS (HDR), CEREGE, France
- Roseheim, Brad Stable Isotope Laboratory, Tulane University
UNDERGRAD STUDENTS, GRAD STUDENTS AND POSTDOCTORAL SPONSOR
*indicates direct mentoring
• Co-advisor of Fabiana Oliveira, PhD candidate, UFF, Brazil (sandwich program 2014 – present)
• Co-advisor of Alisson R. Albuquerque, PhD candidate, Dept. de Tecnologia e Recursos Naturais, UEP/Belém, Brazil (2014 – present)
• Adviser of Cassie Grainger* (March 2014 – January 2015), Undergraduate student – ESS199 class. Project: Validating cross-dated Araucaria araucana trees in the northwestern Patagonian foothills in the province of Neuquén, Argentina.
• Advisor of Dr. Kimberley Gallagher*, Postdoctoral Scholar (2014 – 2015), NSF grant
• Advisor of Dr. Paul Reyerson*, Specialist (2012 – 2014), NSF grant
• Advisor of Araks Harutyunyan* (October 2012- June 2014), Undergraduate student – ESS Honor’s program. Project: Below ground sources of phytoliths of higher plants. (Honor’s Thesis Defense – June 09, 2014). Ms Harutyunyan received the Undergraduate Award in Research for 2014.
• Advisor of Hector Martinez* (May 2011 – June 2014), Assistant Specialist. Projects: 1) Year-of-death determinations and dietary analyses using Isotope measurements; and 2) Testing the removal of exogenously bound carbon from modern human hair by cross-flow nanofiltrated amino acids procedure.
• Co-advisor of Dr. Simon Fahrni, Postdoctoral (2011 – 2013), KCCAMS
• Co-advisor of Shari Bush* (May 2011 – 2013), Assistant Specialist. Project: 14C-AMS carbonate samples screening method.
• Co-advisor of Dr. Ben Fuller, Researcher (September 2012 – February 2013), NSF grant
• Co-advisor of Dr. Julie Ferguson, Postdoctoral (2011 – 2012), KCCAMS
• Co-mentor of a REU student John Kearney and a PhD candidate Gergana Mouteva during the Summer of 2012 along with the Dr. Czimczik. Their findings were presented at the American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting of 2012.
• Advisor of Kaelyn M. Ormsby* (January 2010 – June 2011), Assistant Specialist. Project: Testing Behavioral variability in ABA chemical pretreatment, and 14C and Stable Isotope dietary Inferences in Modern Humans.
• Co-advisor of Karla Acaylar (2009). Undergrad Senior Thesis: Time-Series Isotope Measurements (δ 13C and 14C) of Southern California Surface Seawater Dissolved Inorganic Carbon (DIC).
• Advisor of Elise N. Hinger* (2007-2009), Undergrad Project: Carbon Isotope Measurements of Surface Seawater from a Time-Series Site off Southern California. With this project Ms. Hinger received the Undergraduate Award in Research for 2008, and today she is at the Dept. Fish, Wildlife and Conservation Biology.
In addition to those listed above, former UCI undergraduates Rachel B. Moore, Sami Rifai, Robert K. Beverly, Denis Tauz, Kaelyn Ormsby and PhD students Lori A. Ziolkowski, Steve R. Beaupre, and a Brazilian PhD candidate Heloisa H.G. Coe have each co-authored with Dr. Santos.