WHERE to publish?
Selected links and descriptions for higher education and student affairs journals
- About Campus – published six times a year from ACPA-College Student Educators International; focuses on contemporary issues, policies, practices and trends that influence learning for college students.
- American Educational Research Journal– peer-reviewed and indexed in research databases that include Social Sciences Citation Index. One of several journals from the American Educational Research Association, and published six times per year by Sage Publications. Submissions focus original empirical and theoretical analyses from two main areas: (1) processes and outcomes related to Teaching, Learning and Human Development, and (2) broader Social and Institutional Analysis associated with cultural, organizational, political, and social issues in education.
- College Student Affairs Journal – published by Information Age; a peer-reviewed journal published in fall and spring by Information Age. Submissions include original qualitative or quantitative research specifically pertinent to student affairs practitioners, graduate students, and faculty.
- Developments – a quarterly online publication from ACPA-College Student Educators International. Submissions emphasize current issues, trends, and scholarship in higher education and in student affairs; author(s) may query for a series.
- Higher Education – a peer-reviewed international journal of higher education published by Springer (12 issues per year) and indexed in research databases such as the Social Sciences Citation Index. Submissions focus on comparative studies and analyses of issues related to all participants and institutional types in higher education.
- Journal of College and Character – a peer-reviewed journal from NASPA-Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education. Published by De Gruyter on a quarterly basis, submissions include scholarly articles and applied research to examine ethics, values and character development in higher education settings.
- Journal of College Student Development – a peer-reviewed journal from ACPA-College Student Educators International. Published by John Hopkins University Press six times per year and indexed in research databases such as the Social Sciences Citation Index. Accepts submissions in three categories – (1) featured manuscripts, (2) Research in Brief, and (3) On Campus submissions focused on new practices, programs or techniques.
- Journal of Higher Education – a peer-reviewed journal published six times a year by Ohio State University Press and indexed in research databases such as Social Sciences Citation Index. Focuses on original, theoretically-grounded research about the study of higher education. Submissions judged on originality of approach, quality of theories and concepts, quality of data, appropriateness of methods, quality of analysis, logic of conclusions and policy relevance.
- Journal of Student Affairs Research & Practice – a peer-reviewed journal from NASPA-Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education; published quarterly. While editors appreciate traditional scholarship, they seek articles that are innovative and forward thinking about student affairs issues.
- NASPA Journal about Women in Higher Education – a peer-reviewed journal from NASPA-Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education; published quarterly. Submissions focus on issues affecting all women in higher education: students, student affairs staff, faculty, and other administrative groups.
- Research in Higher Education –the official journal of the Association for Institutional Research published by Springer; eight issues per year. The peer-reviewed journal is indexed in research databases such as the Social Sciences Citation Index. Submissions of particular interest include analyses using advanced quantitative methods, and focusing on postsecondary topics in access and retention, equity, faculty, institutional productivity and assessment, financing higher education, and student success.
- The Review of Higher Education – the official peer-reviewed journal of the Association for the Study of Higher Education; published quarterly by the Johns Hopkins University Press. The journal is indexed in research databases such as the Social Sciences Citation Index, and includes peer-reviewed articles, essays, reviews on quantitative and qualitative research and practical implications of research findings.
- In addition, newsletters from professional associations, such as NASPA’s Synergy newsletter from the Student Affairs Partnering with Academic Affairs Knowledge Community, showcase programs to collegial networks across and beyond the United States.