Officers 2020 – 2021

Meet the 2020-2021 SWE Board!

President

A. Lili Castillo

swe.uci.president@gmail.com

My name is A.Lili Castillo and I am currently a third year studying Mechanical Engineering and am pursuing a minor in Biomedical Engineering. This past academic year I served as the Outreach Co-Chair as SWE UCI and I now have the privilege to be able to serve as the President of this chapter. I am currently a part of the rehabilitation robotics lab on campus where my team is working on a device to assist in restoring finger proprioception between the index and middle finger. I also work at the Graduate and Postdoctoral Scholars Resource Center and am a part of TRIO Scholars. In my free time I love to sing, go on little adventures with friends and organize my Spotify playlists. Fun fact: I make monthly playlists that contain a collection of new songs I find online and the songs that get stuck in my head throughout the month. As for SWE UCI, I hope to facilitate the overall growth for this club and its members as this academic year progresses. I am truly looking forward to the great events and projects that are in store for this upcoming year and can hardly wait to see where this takes us!

Vice President

Samantha Drake

swe.uci.vicepresident@gmail.com

My name is Samantha Drake, I am a third-year Materials science and engineering major.  This past board I was the Social Chair for this SWE chapter and I am very honored to take on the role of vice president for this coming year.   I am very excited to take on a larger role in this club. This club has been my home and family at UCI ever since I first joined during my first year.  Over the summer between my first and second year, I joined The Gorodetsky Group Research Lab and have been part of undergraduate research in that lab since. My research focuses on the expression and purification of certain reflectin proteins in e coli and some mammalian cells.  This protein is associated with the transparency changing properties found in cephalopods in the ocean.  Aside from school and SWE, I really enjoy photography and photo editing.  It’s a hobby I picked up in high school and have loved ever since.  Fun fact: I  was a competitive gymnast for 10+ years throughout elementary school and high school and it was my entire life when I was growing up. I also stress knit and stress bake and those are the few little things that help me stay sane when everything with school gets crazy. I can’t wait to continue creating amazing events and projects for our members this year!

Treasurer

Daysi Frias

swe.uci.treasurer@gmail.com

I’m Daysi Frias and I am a third year Civil Engineering student! This year I get to be the treasurer for SWE. I first served as the secretary to help member retention but I wanted to learn more about the finance side of running a club and planning events. Besides being on board for SWE, I am a member of the Campuswide Honors Collegium and serve on its student council, was inducted as a member of Chi Epsilon in Fall 2019 and am now the Marshall for the UCI chapter. I am also a member of ASCE and competed on the timber project at the PSWC conference in April 2020. With my various involvements, I wish to gain a better understanding of a well rounded engineer. Fun fact about me is that I love to travel because I get to experience a new culture and see their values and customs; seeing how greatly or similarly they are from my own excites me because I know I get a better grasp of our world.

Secretary

Caroline Bostwick

swe.uci.secretary@gmail.com

My name is Caroline Bostwick and I am a third-year Computer Science major! This is my second year on SWE’s board and I’m so excited to continue! This year I am hoping to gain new members and reach out to a bigger audience. SWE is the first club I joined on campus as a first-year student and is such an important club to me! Outside of SWE, I work in student housing as a resident advisor and I work in the Engineering Lab Facility. A fun fact about me is that I have all gold medals on MarioKart Wii!

Corporate Co-Chair

Carrie Lamb

swe.uci.corporatechair@gmail.com

My name is Carrie Lamb, I am a senior Mechanical Engineering major. SWE had a huge impact on my transition from the community college environment to UCI, as all the members made me feel supported though-out my journey. Considering all that SWE has done for me, I am excited to be serving as one of the Corporate Chairs this year. With that being said I plan to use my position to open doors in industry for all members of SWE and give back to the community that supported me. Outside of school, I am involved in cycling and archery.

Corporate Co-Chair

Valetina Garrett

swe.uci.corporatechair@gmail.com

My name is Valentina Garrett, and I’m a third-year chemical engineering major. Outside of school I work and have been involved in volleyball and greek life, but SWE stands out to me through our mission to uplift and empower women in STEM. Additionally, I’m really excited to collaborate with my other Corporate Co-chairs to put on some great professional events to help grow and develop our skill sets.

Corporate Co-Chair

Hafsah Arain

swe.uci.corporatechair@gmail.com

My name is Hafsah Arain, and I’m a third-year Computer Engineering major! I am very excited to be one of the corporate chairs for SWE! SWE has made such a positive impact on me throughout my first and second years at UCI, and I look forward to hopefully having a positive impact on others this year by helping organize professional events so members can gain more experience networking and learn more about the industry. Outside of SWE, I’m also trying to get more into baking, and I enjoy painting and watching Netflix shows. My favorite Netflix shows are the Office and the Originals!

Outreach Co-Chair

Saketh Karumuri

swe.uci.outreach@gmail.com

My name is Saketh Karumuri, I am a second-year Computer Science major. I’m really excited to create events and encourage kids to explore engineering and other STEM activities as one of the outreach co-chairs! Some of my hobbies include creating realistic-looking computer graphics and learning about random subjects. A fun fact about me is that I have my own website (www.sakethk.com).

Outreach Co-Chair

Elizabeth Chiu

swe.uci.outreach@gmail.com

My name is Elizabeth Chiu, and I am a second-year mechanical engineering student.  I am so excited to be a Co-Chair of Outreach! SWE helped me feel immediately at home at UCI and in the engineering community, and I am looking forward to helping others feel the same way.  I am also so excited to help kids find their passion for STEM by organizing outreach events!  A fun fact about me is that my dream job is to be an engineer for Disney (also known as an Imagineer) in either ride design or animatronics.

Social Chair

Keely Hsieh

swe.uci.social@gmail.com

My name is Keely Hsieh and I am a second-year mechanical engineering major. I’m grateful that I am able to serve as your Social Chair for the 2020-2021 school year. SWE helped me during my transition into college by providing a place for me to meet friends as well as mentors! SWE also helped me set up my LinkedIn account and gave me the opportunity to network with future employers. I hope that as a member of the board, I can help others feel the same way. Outside of school, I love playing games, painting, and eating – all of which I would love to incorporate into SWE’s social events. A fun fact about me is that I won my high school’s pi reciting contest by reciting 136 digits of pi – and won a pie! Unfortunately, I no longer remember 136 digits, but I still love pie.

Communications Chair

Emily Doan

swe.uci.web@gmail.com

My name is Emily Doan and I am the Communications Chair of the SWE UCI chapter. I’m currently a second-year Computer Science student and I am also considering a minor in Digital Art. SWE UCI was the first club that allowed me to feel accepted on campus as I was transitioning into my first year of college, which serves as a motivation to why I ran for board. By being on board, I hope to empower other women in STEM and create an accepting environment, while further developing my programming knowledge with the website and graphic design skills through club advertisement. Besides my academics and school involvements, I love to bullet journal, draw, and currently, I’m developing a passion for photography and video editing. Fun fact about me is that I love trying new foods and getting boba, so I’d be down to go on boba runs and food-ventures with anyone!

Academic Co-Chair

Taylor Togami

swe.uci.academic@gmail.com

My name is Taylor Togami, and I am one of the Academic Chairs. I am a third year Computer Engineering major with a Business Management Minor. I play basketball and love working out in my free time. Thanks to SWE, I have met an amazing group of students who share the same passions and who have become another family to me. One of my goals for this academic year is to increase our member engagement and retainment as well as improve the mentorship program. I am thrilled to be a part of a club that encourages women to pursue engineering, and I hope to grow with the new board! A fun fact about me is that I have actually broken or sprained every single finger and now I have uneven thumbs.

Academic Co-Chair

Haylee Myers

swe.uci.academic@gmail.com

My name is Haylee Myers, and I’m a third year Biomedical Engineering major. I’m looking forward to being one of the Academic Chairs for SWE this year, because I want to help this supportive community grow! Outside of academics, I’m a member of Common Ground Dance Team, and I love to spend time with my pets when I visit home. I also enjoy going to the beach, trying new restaurants, and exploring new places. A fun fact about myself is that I danced at the same studio from two years old until I graduated high school. I’m very excited for another amazing year with SWE!

Funding Chair

Daria Shkel

swe.uci.fundraisingchair@gmail.com

My name is Daria Shkel and I am a third-year Electrical Engineering major and Biomedical Engineering minor. I first found out about SWE during week 0 involvement fair and was instantly hooked. I love that this club not only has a strong message of diversity but is also full of some of the kindest and most motivated people I have ever met. This year I am so happy to be able to give back to the club as the new funding chair! I am excited to not only meet and welcome new members but also ensure the prosperity of the club so that it can continue to inspire future generations of engineering students. Outside of academics I love drawing, music, puzzles, and running, or really any form of physical exercise. I am always down to try something new and pick up a new hobby!

Grad Advisor

Sierra Gross

swe.uci.gradvisor@gmail.com

My name is Sierra and I am the graduate student advisor for SWE. I am a second-year Ph.D. student in the Materials Science and Engineering department. I am always open to helping people out, so if you have any questions feel free to reach out to me!