2 thoughts on “Images of the Defiance Campaign

1. I have a strange fascination with the Defiance Campaign. I thought these pictures were so wonderful to look at. It was so empowering to see all these people come together to unite over one cause. The power of numbers is amazing. Imagine if all the students in the UC system united like that against fee hikes? Their is so much humans can accomplish if united!
    I think the pictures with the protestors that were mostly Indians was pretty cool. I would like to do more research on the role of Indians in anti-apartheid movement.

2. These pictures were unquestionably important to the historical record of the anti-apartheid campaign. Under the surface though, these pictures are images of previously unimagined circumstances: Black Africans congregating in the thousands to hear a speaker speak of liberation, Indians and Africans gathering with one another, Nelson Mandela the great leader. These images are also unique in that a white man took them, which was grounds for the photographers arrest. This man was not afraid of putting himself in the situation that many Black Africans were in on a daily basis in order to reveal truth.