By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Describe political, economic and social conditions in Apartheid-era South Africa and explain why those conditions were different for different racial groups [chronology; argumentation; use of evidence]
- Identify major turning points during the Apartheid era, and explain the reasons for those changes [causation; change and continuity over time; periodization]
- Differentiate between individual experiences and general historical patterns of change and continuity [agency & structure, change and continuity over time; argumentation]
- Evaluate the importance of race, class, gender, and generation [agency & structure; causation; argumentation]
- Demonstrate improved writing ability evaluated in terms of clearly articulated thesis statement, coherent paragraph structure, and correct grammar*
*Grammar is the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you’re shit.