Where to start with accessibility at UCI
The Disability Services Center (DSC) has an Instructor Resources page with information about viewing a list of students who need accommodation, understanding accommodation definitions, and how to provide test taking accommodation.
How to enable captioning on my recordings
Enabling captions on all of your class recordings helps all learners.
If you are using PowerPoint, consider saving it as a video and uploading it to YuJa:
- How to save your PowerPoint as a video
- How to play a PowerPoint into a YuJa recording with internal audio enabled (for YuJa machine captioning)
How to support students using Otter.ai to transcribe audio
Some students may be provided an Otter.ai license for individuals by the Disability Services Center. If you are using a PowerPoint with embedded audio, your students may experience issues when attempting to transcribe the audio.
Here's an article from Otter.ai to help with recording in a browser on Mac: https://blog.otter.ai/how-to-transcribe-a-video-on-a-mac-with-otter-ai/
Here's an article from Otter.ai to help with recording in a browser on Windows: https://blog.otter.ai/how-to-transcribe-a-live-video-on-a-pc-with-otter-ai/
How do I give additional time and/or extra attempt for a quiz?
If a student is eligible for alternative testing accommodations per the Disability Services Center, it is the instructor's responsibility to provide that extra time for any exams or quizzes in Canvas. You can set up your exam in Canvas so that this student, and only this student, has extra time or extra attempts to re-take a given exam. See the following guides:
Note that there is currently no way within Canvas to designate a group of students who should automatically receive accommodations for all timed quizzes.
- Assign an assignment to an individual student with customized (i.e., extended) deadlines
- Tip: When establishing the due and availability dates for the activity, the instructor selects either Everyone, individual students, and/or the desired section.
- Excuse an assignment for a student in the Canvas gradebook