Assessing student learning
Collect student work
Canvas supports several ways of collecting work via the Canvas Assignments features. It is also integrated with several third-party tools, including Turnitin.
- Use Canvas Assignments to collect work via direct text entry, uploaded files, or Google Docs.
- Canvas is integrated with Turnitin to help ensure academic integrity in student work.
- Review information on accommodations (such as additional time) to support accessibility.
Assess student learning
Canvas provides several ways to assess student learning and activity, including Quizzes and Analytics.
- Use Canvas Quizzes to conduct quizzes and exams.
- Review information on accommodations using the Moderate Quizzes feature to provide extra time and/or additional attempts.
- Use Canvas Analytics to review course activity and grade statistics.
Use peer-reviewed assignments
Canvas enables students to provide feedback on their peers' submissions using the Peer Review Assignments feature.
Facilitate group work
- Use Canvas Groups and Canvas Collaborations for facilitating group work.
- During a Zoom call, use Zoom Breakout Rooms to encourage small group discussion.
Conduct a monitored or proctored exam
- Create your exams in Canvas
- In order to deliver exams or quizzes online, you will need to create or recreate them using the Canvas Quiz tool. For more information on creating your first Quiz, please start with the following guide.
- Learn more about Respondus
- UCI has enabled campus-wide remote exam monitoring using Respondus Monitor + LockDown, integrated with UCI Canvas. Learn more about the remote exam monitoring services integrated with UCI Canvas.
Poll students during a class session
Remote Assessment Considerations
Information from the Office of the Vice Provost for Teaching & Learning around remote assessment pedagogy, tools, and techniques
Assessment strategies shared by UCI instructors
Remote Exam Monitoring & Proctoring Options
Information about the two supported remote exam monitoring & proctoring options
Remote monitoring for exams
Remote proctoring for exams