Respondus Monitoring + LockDown Browser
Respondus Monitor + LockDown Browser
Note: Respondus cannot be used for Examity exams.
Respondus Monitor + LockDown Browser is currently enabled in every UCI Canvas course space.
- No cost to faculty or students
- Uses the LockDown Browser to prevent students from accessing the web or other applications during the exam
- Using the students' webcam and microphone, the Monitor system records their activity during their attempt
- If the Monitor AI senses suspicious behavior, it will automatically flag the students video for you to review later
- View full recordings of all student attempts at any time after the exam
- No need for scheduling or registration by the instructor or students
- Not subject to proctoring capacity (especially good for very large classes)
Remote Assessment Considerations
Information from the Office of the Vice Provost for Teaching & Learning around remote assessment pedagogy, tools, and techniques
Getting Started with Respondus
Instructor Quickstart Guide
The above guide refers to Respondus Monitor as an optional add-on. UCI has fully licensed the Respondus Monitor product and you will see those features available to you.
Note: Your TAs will need to be added as a "Super TA" using GrandCentral Assistants if you want them to be able to adjust or manage Respondus settings in Canvas.
Preparing an Exam
Help & Support for Respondus
Respondus Technical Support
For the best support possible, please contact Respondus directly. OIT and the EEE Team do not have the same access as Respondus support, and are unable to answer most queries directly.
Register for a free training webinar on LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor.
For Your Students
Student Download Link
If you would like to give your students the download link for UCI's Respondus LockDown Browser in advance of an exam, please use the following URL:
Students who have not installed LockDown Browser ahead of time will be prompted to do so when attempting to start a Canvas quiz that uses Respondus.
- Compatible with Windows or macOS:
- Windows: 10, 8, 7
- Mac: OS X 10.10 or higher
- Not compatible with Chromebooks
- Web camera (internal or external) & microphone
- A broadband internet connection
Recommended: Information for your syllabus
The sample text below can be used in your course or syllabus. It explains that students must use LockDown Browser for their online tests.
Using LockDown Browser for Online Exams
This course requires the use of LockDown Browser for online exams. Watch this short video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the optional webcam feature (which may be required for some exams).
Then download and install LockDown Browser from this link:
To take an online test, start LockDown Browser and navigate to the exam. (You won't be able to access the exam with a standard web browser.) For additional details on using LockDown Browser, review this Student Quick Start Guide (PDF)
Finally, when taking an online exam, follow these guidelines:
Select a location where you won't be interrupted
Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it, and that you've allotted sufficient time to complete it
Turn off all mobile devices, phones, etc. and don't have them within reach
Clear your area of all external materials — books, papers, other computers, or devices
Remain at your desk or workstation for the duration of the test
LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted