Each meeting has 1-3 prepared speeches. Speakers use the guidelines in the Competent Communication (CC) manual and the Advanced Communication Series (ACS) manuals to fully prepare their presentations. The CC manual speeches usually last 5-7 minutes. ACS manual project speeches are 5-7 minutes or longer depending upon the assignment.
Before the Meeting
- Check the Duty Roster weeks in advance to see when you are scheduled to speak
- E-mail your Toastmaster and Evaluator your speech introduction including: title, length, and project number from the manual you are working from.
- Send your Evaluator any personal goals or concerns that should be monitored in your speech.
- Remember to bring your manual to the meeting!
- Prepare your speech. Write it, edit, practice out loud, revise it, present to your mentor and keep practicing. Make sure to time your speech when you practice.
At the Meeting
- Arrive early, set up any equipment or props needed
- Give your manual to your Evaluator
- Sit close to the front of the room
- When you are introduced, walk confidently to the front of the room. Walk with confidence back to your seat after you have finished.
- During your evaluation, listen intently and take notes
- At the end of the meeting, have the VP Education initial the Project Completion Record at the back of your manual