8 – 10 December 2016
Claire Trevor School of the Arts
University of California, Irvine
Tentative Schedule Announced! Please click here for a .pdf of the schedule.
To book hotel reservations at the Body of Knowledge rate please visit the Logistics page of this site.
The focus of the event is to bring contemporary cognitive neuroscience and philosophy of mind to bear on arts practices, with the goal of deploying understandings from embodied, distributed, situated, extended and enactive cognition paradigms as ways of explicating arts practices – including:
- Discussion of new perspectives arising from current (ie cognitive neuroscience) research
- Discussion of theoretical paradigms and historical precedents (William James, Jakob von Uexküll, Phenomenology: Husserl, Heidegger and Merleau Ponty, Gibsonian Ecological Psychology, Maturana and Varela’s Autopoietic Biology, etc)
- Studies of Arts practices from these perspectives
- Studies of tools, instruments and work and play environments – physical and digital – from these perspectives.
- Multicultural perspectives on embodiment and embodied practices.
- Demonstrations and workshops on embodied practices from a variety of contexts, from clinical diagnosis to laboratory research to artisanal practices to martial arts.
- Performances and Exhibitions