Select Page

News

Media Contact

Mimi Ko Cruz
Director of Communications
(949) 824-1278
mkcruz@uci.edu

NOV. 08, 2023

Honoring the Dead is Universal

Like most people, I’ve lost many friends and family members — my dad, my sister, my grandparents, my best friend, my in-laws, five uncles and numerous close friends and colleagues — over the years, and I’ve always wished for one more day with them. So, every year for decades, I’ve attended Día de los Muertos events as my own personal way to remember the happy times with my lost loved ones. 

Read more here.

NOV. 03, 2023

Día de los Muertos recap

If you missed our exciting Día de los Muertos event on November 2, here’s a video recap of the event.

Watch the video here.

NOV. 03, 2023

Culture, community and calaveras

More than 1,000 students, faculty, staff and community members converged on the Irvine Barclay Theatre for the School of Social Ecology’s first Día de los Muertos event Nov. 2, presented by Northgate González Market.

The lively event, culminating with a packed performance by the two-time Grammy Award winning Mariachi Divas, was the School’s tribute to its growing Latino student population.

“Nearly half our undergraduate students are Latino, 46 percent to be exact,” Dean Jon Gould told the crowd, who responded with cheers and applause. “In fact, we have more Latino students in our school than any other school here at UC Irvine, and we dedicate this event to our Latino community and heritage.”

Read more here.

OCT. 24, 2023

UC Irvine hosts Día de los Muertos Nov. 2 

UCI’s School of Social Ecology hosts Día de los Muertos, presented by Northgate González Market. This free event, complete with live music, ceremony, dance, a virtual and physical altar, customary foods, face-painting and crafts, will immerse attendees in the rich Mexican tradition of honoring and remembering deceased loved ones. Read more here.