How many students are accepted every year?
- 10 students will be accepted each year.
How do I select a project to work on?
- Please review the Faculty tab (LINK, see faculty list at bottom) to learn more about the faculty, departments, and projects you might be interested in.
Will I be guaranteed to work with the faculty member I select?
- If the project or faculty mentor you select is not available, you will be assigned to a faculty mentor in a similar area.
What are some of the benefits of participating?
- An 8-week mentored summer research experience at UC Irvine
- Preferential enrollment in the UCI PBBE program for a second year
- Faculty mentored research
- Waiver of the graduate application fee
- If admitted to a Ph.D. program at UC Irvine, UCI PBBE participants will receive financial support coordinated between the UC Office of the President and UC Irvine.
How does the application fee waiver work?
- The application fee will be waived automatically once you submit your application. The fee waiver will be associated with your record of participation in the UCI PBBE program.
Where is UC Irvine?
- UC Irvine is located in Southern California in the City of Irvine. The campus is located 40 miles south of Los Angeles, and 90 miles north of San Diego.
What graduate programs and degrees are offered?
- UC Irvine offers a wide variety of highly ranked academic and professional degree programs, and we encourage talented and forward-thinking students from across the country and around the world to apply.
Why is the HBCU-Initiative important?
- The University of California recognizes the unique and important contributions that Historically Black Colleges and Universities make to the academy, our nation and the world. By recruiting students from HBCUs, the University of California will be strengthened, enriched, and better able to complete our mission of teaching, research and public service.
What is SURF?
- SURF is an 8-week summer research program administered by the Graduate Division at UC Irvine. Please visit SURF for additional information on the program. Participants of the PBBE program will attend many of the SURF activities as well as activities designed specifically for the UCI PBBE program.
Where will I live?
- All SURF students will live in housing facilities located on the UC Irvine campus.
What are the program dates?
- Program dates for the summer of 2017 will be June 25-August 18.
Can my family visit me during the program?
- Guests are permitted to visit given that research and programmatic obligations are met.