Thanksgiving Break

First and foremost I would like to apologize to the readers for being late to write this post, but on an entirely different note my Thanksgiving break was pretty traditional. My mom made food for my whole family, we went over to my uncle’s house in Chino Hills, since it was the only house large enough to accommodate everyone, and we stuffed ourselves full of turkey, ham, and other foods we would feel guilty about later. This year my mom brought mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, turkey with stuffing and ham, while one of my uncles brought either stingray or skate and seafood pasta. The stingray or skate was seasoned with what tasted like Cajun seasoning but I was not 100% sure and the pasta had shrimps and surprisingly large scallops mixed throughout. With all this great food I was expecting to be eating lots but that was not the case this year, but my time at UCI, eating at the Anteatery, caused my body to not be able to take as much food as it did before. Granted, this is probably a good thing since I am also not as active as I once was so it helps to keep me in shape.

Besides the food, my oldest cousin actually brought her boyfriend to this year’s Thanksgiving which was a nice change from the usual crowd. Also, I personally found some enjoyment when he tried to challenge a different uncle to a drinking contest. It was later that I would learn that the uncle the boyfriend challenged had the highest alcohol tolerance in my family. From there, the table started to shrink as people would move to the couches or beds upstairs to fall into their various stages of food coma while many of the younger people stayed at the table making small talk. As it usually does every year, the question of “do you have a girlfriend?” got asked to both me and a cousin of mine. My cousin, being the more personable of the two of us talked for a while about his preferences and how he hasn’t found the right girl and stuff. Then when it came to my turn I tried my hardest to avoid the question and ended up stammering out an answer that seemed sufficient enough to just get me past that question.

The conversation then changed to sports, both e-sports (which I had the most knowledge about) and traditional sports (which I knew nothing about). This was where the uncle that owned the house we were having Thanksgiving at, chimed in that Lonzo Ball is having his house constructed somewhere nearby. Since there was some basketball fans at the table we hopped into a car and drove over. When Ball’s house came into view the first thing that struck me was the color, I’m not sure if they just chose the first color that was on the options sheet or decided to get cheaper paint since the house was so big, but either way it looked about the same shade of orange that our president is comically depicted to be. Even though the house itself covers 3 acres of land I personally wouldn’t live there.

After we returned from the house, it was time for dessert followed by packing up the leftovers. Dessert was nothing special just a tiramisu cake my mom also brought but it was good regardless. I wasn’t part of the leftover division committee so I just chilled on the sofa and thought about what I was going to do once I got back to UCI. I know that finals are quickly approaching but it was definitely a well deserved break to recharge and prepare for the end of fall quarter. That being said, I have a problem with breaks because I go a bit too crazy when I have no obligations to do especially when I have a computer that can run a game or two (which the one I am currently typing on can). What it boils down to is that I managed to mess up my sleeping schedule to the point where I can’t fall asleep until around 3am. And since I wake up on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 8am for class, its probably not the best idea to be running on 5 hours of sleep. And that, ladies and gentlemen, was my Thanksgiving break; a time for turkey and troubles with circadian rhythm.

Zot On!