In Conclusion

As my chapter as a Freshman comes to a close its important to look back and reflect upon what had happened during the year. I came into UCI as an Undergraduate/Undeclared major and was hoping to start the path to a Computer Science major. That goal has been achieved since I took the highly sought after ICS 31 during the Winter Quarter. I also wanted to make some new friends during my time here and I can safely say that I have made more than a few friends during my three quarters here.  Lastly I wanted the college experience to be more fun that my high school one and I can safely say that so far it definitely has been more fun. From causing the dorm to think that there was a sewage leak by boiling cabbage, to allowing my friends to peer pressure me into events.

Looking back my proudest moment was how innovative my roommate and I were in regards to our dorm room. Being essentially a single room with two people in it we were forced to use the space to its maximum effect. It’s quite funny that whenever someone else from our dorm comes into our room they immediately notice the arrangement that my roommate and I have. The top bunk has been converted into a pantry/storage area while the bed was moved to the floor. Before any of you say I was a terrible roommate, I did ask him if he wanted the bottom bunk. Regardless, despite the cramped living conditions of the reduced double we managed to make it work.

In regards to the ZotBlog program, my favorite memory was actually meeting everyone else in the program. Brandon, Nancy and Lauren all made the experience of being a ZotBlog writer extremely enjoyable. From just stressing over finals to helping each other with classes everyone in the program was a joy to work with and I hope to work with them again in the future. If I had to choose a specific memory of my favorite part of being in ZotBlog it would have to be when Lauren mentioned that other members of the U/U office read our blog which at first made me nervous because I’m usually not one to let people read my writing but upon hearing the positive feedback from the people in the office I was more okay with the idea.

As for next year, my goals are going to mainly focus on getting into the ICS major while keeping in touch with the counselors at the U/U office. Keeping in touch with your counselor is something I would strongly recommend any incoming freshman to do. All the counselors here are all knowledgeable about which classes that you need to take in order to get to where you wanna go. ZotBlog was definitely an opportunity for freshman to not only get involved but to just relax as none of these blog posts feel like work. The posts are just about your day or days past so there isn’t any intensive thinking to do. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone interested in joining.

Since this is my last post as a writer, to those of you who are planning to become future Anteaters, I wish you the best of luck as I’m sure that you can do whatever you set out to do here at UCI. I am actually part of the Class of 2022 Facebook group so if there are any questions I would be happy to answer them. Beyond that, there isn’t much else to say but enjoy your time since you are only a Freshman once.

Zot On!
Josh

Photo Credit: Nancy